Theatre Prospero seeks a consultant to help the company increase the interactivity of its Livestreamed Theatre for Young Audiences
The position is part of a federally funded project to:
1. Increase access to our original Canadian, in person, virtual and hybrid touring theatre performances, created and/or performed with/by members of Equity-Deserving Communities, for national school and other audiences.
2. More equitably distribute truly interactive performances to remote participants, where the performers may respond to the audience based on real-time audience response.
At the end of the project, the Theatre Prospero team will have mastery of an effective, repeatable, affordable, user-friendly technological implementation for remote student audiences to easily interact visually and aurally with our performers during virtual performances, so that these students may experience the performance as something that they contribute to.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Reviewing current company production and live streaming equipment and procedures to understand current capabilities and identify areas for improvement
- Attend (in person) live streamed performances of Enchanted Antlers, the company’s virtual holiday production streamed from a studio in South Edmonton between December 11th and 20th, 2023, to view interactive components of the show in person and gain feedback directly from the performers and production team
- Research and provide recommendations for the acquisition and implementation of upgraded software, tech, streaming and/or network equipment for the company to use for future virtual productions (up to $10,000 is currently budgeted for equipment acquisitions)
- Work in conjunction with the production team to implement and test new interactive technology and processes in the spring of 2024
- Produce written materials and procedures for future production teams to follow in implementing interactive streaming technology
The successful candidate will have proven experience with and understanding of the following:
- Broadcast and video technology
- Theatrical production process
- Online video conferencing options, opportunities, and challenges
- School (especially remote/rural) technology capabilities
- Knowledge of industry trends for theatre technology, live streaming, and video conferencing
- Basic computer networking
Budgeted Compensation: $3,500
The position reports to and will work closely with the company’s Director of Production, Aidan McBride.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resumé to email@example.com with the subject line Livestreaming Consultant Application. Application deadline is Thursday, November 23, 2023. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.