Edmonton’s foremost community theatre is now accepting submissions for this season’s new works festival! Walterdale Theatre welcomes original play submissions from emerging local playwrights and offers playwrights the opportunity to share their work and gain audience feedback through staged readings.
We are looking for finished, original, and unproduced plays of 10 – 60 minutes in length of any genre. We hope to select scripts in many genres from a wide diversity of voices to provide exciting opportunities for playwrights, readers, and audiences. This year we are asking playwrights to submit only one script each.
Plays must be suitable for music-stand reading. Stage directions may be read, but the scripts should work without props or actions.
Eligible playwrights must reside in Edmonton or within 50 km of Walterdale Theatre. Playwrights need not be current members of Walterdale Theatre to submit. There are no age restrictions on playwrights.
- Deadline for all submissions is 11:59 pm Friday, January 5, 2024.
- Selections for the festival will be announced by mid-February, 2024.
- Directors will be selected by the festival coordinator. Playwrights will not direct their own scripts.
- Readers will be cast based on video submissions. Playwrights may have some input into casting.
- The rehearsal process will start with Zoom rehearsal in mid-April and then in-person and tech rehearsals at Walterdale Theatre.
- Festival Dates: May 14-19, 2024. Scripts should get two public readings within this time.
Additional guidelines and submission form can be found here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSds0a7f3VaORITMNPjuqRN6Ox7zzJV2SdFM7TO0p_9-IdhDxw/viewform
Do not include your name or any author identification on the script, including title page and filename. If you have difficulty with the Google Form or any other questions, contact Festival Coordinator, Louise Mallory at firstname.lastname@example.org. Late submissions will not be considered.
Submissions must be received by Friday, January 5, 2024.