AUDITION NOTICE – PAPER CROWN THEATRE
The Cat and The Canary
by John Willard
Adapted by Paper Crown Theatre
Directed by Lauren Tamke
Performance Dates: February 13-18, 2024 (Preview Feb 12) @ Gateway Theatre
Audition Dates: Nov 29 & 30, 2023 @ 6-10pm at Gateway Theatre (8529 Gateway Blvd NW); Callbacks TBD as required.
Rehearsals: Rehearsals will likely begin 3x/week on the week of Dec 11, 2023. Rehearsals move to 4x/week in January. Typical rehearsal days will depend on rehearsal venue availability TBD, but will likely occur 2-3 weeknights and 1-2 weekend daytimes. As such, actors with greatest flexibility will be given priority.
Compensation: Small honorarium to be paid following the run.
Play Synopsis: The Cat and The Canary is a melodramatic murder mystery about a group of distant relatives who gather at midnight to attend the will reading of their late ancestor, Old Cyrus West, in his deserted mansion 80 years after his death. Tensions rise when a sole heir is declared with the caveat that this person be of sound mind. Over the course of the night, the spooky mansion will indeed test each visitor’s sanity.
Ages ranges, gender presentations of characters are approximate and flexible. Two roles in the show are already cast and are therefore not listed here.
- Crosby: 40+ male/female lawyer, diligent and to the point
- Charlie Wilder: 30-45, relative of Cyrus, poet and successful businessman, full of himself, has a feud with Harry and a love for Annabelle
- Paul Jones: 30-45, relative of Cyrus, a nervous veterinarian who can’t put a sentence together
- Harry Blythe: 30-45, relative of Cyrus, rough around the edges and unfailingly sarcastic, has a feud with Charlie and a love for Annabelle
- Annabelle West: 25-35, relative of Cyrus, well-spoken, thoughtful and determined, unwillingly caught in a love triangle with Charlie and Harry
- Susan Sillsby: 30-50, relative of Cyrus, petty, meddling and accusatory, inclined towards the supernatural
You will be auditioning in small groups cold reading sides from the original text.
To book your audition, please sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/9040E45ACA923A0FB6-45245798-thecat
Prior to your audition, you will be sent an online form for completion to gather more information, including your headshot, resume, and any potential conflict dates you have within the rehearsal and performance schedule. Sides will be sent via email prior to the audition. If you would like to arrange a self-tape submission or have any other questions, please contact us at email@example.com
For more information about Paper Crown Theatre, check out our website www.papercrowntheatre.com