Job Call: Executive Director
Position: Executive Director
Salary: Up to $40,300 per annum / $36.00 hour (up to 20 hours/week)
Location: This position works remotely. Applicants from across the province are encouraged to apply. Semi-regular provincial travel (by bus/car) is required.
AMAAS exists to promote, support, educate and advocate for Alberta media arts. We advance the image and reputation of the Alberta media arts scene as exciting, leading edge and excellent. By generating awareness of and support for media arts, we build a sustainable future for the sector. Representing 40 non-profit, independent film, video, audio, and new media production, distribution, and exhibition organizations in the province, AMAAS serves over 3500* independent media artists and cultural workers.
Media arts are ever-evolving and include everything from film, video and animation to virtual and augmented reality. As this sector continues to grow and evolve, AMAAS strives to grow and evolve along with it.
Shape your future while shaping the future of a dynamic organization. Working closely with the provincial media arts community, this is an opportunity to grow and learn as you take a hands-on role in media arts advocacy, education, and support.
The Executive Director is responsible for managing the administrative, operational and financial affairs of AMAAS. Working with the Board of Directors, contract staff (communications and bookkeeping) and volunteers, the Executive Director ensures that the organization runs smoothly and efficiently, adheres to society bylaws and regulations, and meets organizational goals and objectives.
These activities are to be fully executed by the Executive Director, with ongoing reporting and accountability to the board.
Management and Administration 30%
- Manage the administrative, operational and financial affairs of the society
- Monitor adherence to bylaws and/or recommend necessary policy changes
- Manage contract staff
- Report to board on monthly progress as related to AMAAS on-going special initiatives/projects
Advocacy and Programming 50%
- Advocate on behalf of the provincial media arts community, through government relations, networking and community relations.
- Promote communication between the Board & the membership
- Develop short and long term objectives: daily & yearly tasks, timelines/objectives
- Produce or commission an annual conference and/or other special projects
- Produce or commission on-going public programming and member opportunities.
- Meet regularly with membership, either virtually or in-person
- Social Media management and promotion
Fund Development 20%
- Oversee fundraising initiatives and sponsorship opportunities for AMAAS
- Oversee annual membership drive
- Grant writing and reporting
AMAAS depends on the Executive Director to guide the society in all areas. This position requires a very high level of initiative with a focus on innovation and growth. The Board, membership, and staff rely on the Executive Director to make sound and carefully considered decisions and recommendations.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to work independently as well as cooperatively with AMAAS members and Board or Directors. You will be responsible for setting your own work plan and schedule using the Tracking Time (trackingtime.com) or similar app. An interest in and experience with media arts are essential for this position. You must be willing to remain up to date with emerging technologies and new media.
The Executive Director primarily works remotely. Applicants from across Alberta are welcomed.
- Demonstrated experience in a leadership role
- Highly self-motivated with proven ability to proactively initiate and follow through on projects
- A background in the visual or media arts sector
- Knowledge of Alberta’s major arts funding grants, initiatives, and programs
- An undergraduate degree or equivalent work experience
- Ability to travel
Up to $40,300 per annum. Health benefits provided. Work related travel, work cellphone, and remote work office supplies provided.
Email cover letter and résumé as a PDF document to AMAAS Hiring Committee firstname.lastname@example.org
October 15, 2023 5:00 pm
AMAAS is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from diverse candidates, regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation or identity, education or disability. We are committed to modeling diversity and inclusion for Alberta’s arts and culture industries of the non-profit sector, and to maintaining an inclusive environment with equitable treatment for all.
If you have any questions or concerns about applying, please reach out to the hiring committee at email@example.com
*statistics 2023 AMAAS Brochure
Want to know more?
Sharon Stevens will be hosting a series of “Ask Me Anything” information sessions where you can find out more about the role.
Lethbridge: Sunday Sept 24 at 7 pm
Edmonton: Friday Sept 29 at 7 pm
Across Alberta: Tuesday October 3 at 7 pm in Calgary & on Zoom
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for location information and to register.