StoryBook Theatre is currently seeking Dance Coaches for our 23/24 Theatre School programming. We are looking for experienced professionals to guide students ages 9 to adult in Musical Theatre programming.
StoryBook believes that inclusivity and diversity are integral to the stories we tell both on and off our stage and seek to create an environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best work. We encourage people of all ages, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, and ethnicity to apply for this position.
Instructors will be accountable to the Theatre School Coordinator and will work closely with teaching assistants and other production team members. Duties include:
- Teach students appropriate lessons and content for their age and skill levels
- Create and submit lesson plans incorporating a given curriculum
- Teaching students appropriate choreography, basics in dance and movement, and other skills as required by the curriculum
- Other duties as required
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidates would possess many, if not all, of the qualifications listed below. StoryBook is a learning environment and is looking for a candidate willing to grow into the role with a base understanding of its demands and skills required.
- Minimum of two years of relevant university level education, or equivalent professional experience
- Strong instructional and classroom management skills
- High level of personal organization and planning
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Must work well in a team setting
- Basic First Aid is an asset
Ultimately StoryBook is seeking a person who fits in with the organizational mandate and is keen and passionate about the work we do. A candidate who possesses the following attributes would be seen as a huge asset beyond their list of qualifications.
YOU ARE AN INDIVIDUAL WHO…
- Loves live performance and has an appreciation of the importance of theatre in society/for families
- Reflects an optimistic and positive attitude with organizational loyalty
- Has the ability to work autonomously and in a team with attention to discretion and sensitivity to work involving confidential information.
- Is a self-motivational work style that can be resilient
- Has a genuine commitment to contribute to an internal culture that values people and provides an opportunity for everyone to flourish.
- Has the personal stature to inspire the organization, the Board, and the stakeholders by representing the Theatre with integrity.
- Is dedicated to the principles of equal opportunity, cultural diversity, and broadening access to the arts.
- Is a pragmatic and effective problem-solver.
This is a seasonal contract position with our Fall 8-week Theatre School programs. Dance coaches will either work with programs on Saturday morning from 9:30am to 11:30am or Sunday evening from 6pm to 8:30pm starting the weekend of October 14 and ending the weekend of December 2. Applicants are encouraged to apply even if they are only available for one of those class times.
Our teachers are contracted for each session and program individually at an hourly rate of $22/hr.
Deadline to Submit: MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 25, 2023
For more information and to apply, visit https://www.storybooktheatre.org/job-postings#dance-teacher
Questions relating to this job posting may be directed to the Theatre School Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those moving forward in the interview process will be contacted.