Music Director / Educator – G&S Junior Theatre School
Morpheus Theatre is seeking a music director/educator for its G&S Junior Theatre School program. This is a contract position beginning mid-October 2023 until mid-May 2024 (approximately 50 to 60 hours of classroom time). The remuneration for this contract is set at $2000. The ideal candidate will have a desire to remain with the program for a few years.
The G&S Junior Theatre School works with youth aged 9 to 17 to produce a Gilbert and Sullivan production each May at The Pumphouse Theatre, on the set of the Morpheus Theatre mainstage production. The selected candidate will be primarily responsible for planning the music for the show and teaching it to both the junior (9 to 12) and senior (13 – 17) classes.
The program began twelve years ago–building a strong community of young artists while fostering a love for the works of Gilbert and Sullivan. Working within the spirit of community theatre, the program is inclusive and works to develop the skills of young artists in a safe, fun and inspiring environment.
The program has two classes running concurrently Saturday mornings from 10am to 11:30am (October to January) and 10am to 12pm (February to May). Two dress rehearsals and two performances will take place during the last week of April.
The successful candidate will have:
- a strong love of musical education
- a passion for inspiring young artists to work towards their performance potential
- an appreciation of Gilbert and Sullivan
- experience working with and supervising youth
- ability to play the piano and accompany singers
- a current (or ability to acquire) police information check/vulnerable sector search for employment
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the Artistic Director and Theatre School Instructors to develop the course plan for the season
- Facilitate weekly classes based on the plan
- Work with the Artistic Director, and Theatre School Instructors to deliver upon the vision for the show, select and teach the music for the show
- Create preparatory materials for the students to practice
- Ensure a safe, professional environment and proper use of vocal techniques for all participants
- Assist the students in reaching their potential
For more information on the program, please visit http://www.morpheustheatre.ca/?page_id=17
If you have any questions or are interested in applying, please email Morpheus Theatre’s Artistic Director at the address below. Applications should include your resume and a cover letter outlining your experience and your artistic practice. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Deadline for Applications: September 20, 2023