Chromatic Theatre is looking for writers/ creators who identify as being part of Indigenous and Black communities, as well as communities of colour, for our fifth annual Playwrights Unit.
At Chromatic Theatre we are dedicated to developing and supporting work by and for the wide breadth of cultural diversity that exists in our province. We are excited for the fifth iteration of our Playwrights Unit that will bring together IBPOC playwrights/creators from Mohkins’tsis (Calgary) and surrounding areas, with the aim of strengthening our community, and investing in new Canadian plays.
We are looking for racialized playwrights/ creators of all levels of experience.
As a part of the Chromatic Theatre Playwrights Unit, you will:
- Attend one digital group meet and greet in October 2023
- Attend a total of eight group workshops between November 2023 – May 2024
- Receive up to five one-on-one dramaturgical sessions with Artistic Director, Kodie Rollan
- Receive a workshop of your script with an ensemble of actors between May 27th – June 9th, 2024
- Receive a public, in-person reading of your script, performed by an ensemble of professional actors, culminating on the weekend of June 9th – 10th, 2023. Artistic
- Directors from the Calgary community will be invited to this showcase.
- Build community with other racialized writers
- Receive a one-on-one meeting with an artistic mentor of your choice
- Receive an honorarium of $1000.
Applications must include:
- Your CV
- A writing sample that is a maximum of 20 pages. We also welcome writing samples from other mediums (essays, short stories, poetry, etc.)
- A statement of interest, up to two-pages in length, describing the following:
- Why would you like to participate in this writer’s residency program and what you hope to achieve
- What makes you a fit to work with Chromatic Theatre
- A description of the writing project you will be working on as part of our playwrights unit.
Please note that applicants do not need to apply with a complete draft of a play. You can apply even if you have an idea of a play/ live theatre creation in mind!
Deadline: September 12, 2023