The Heritage Park Players will be presenting a 30 minute musical in Heritage Park’s Opera House for its 2023 Once Upon A Christmas event. Once Upon A Christmas is a volunteer performance contract. (Note: We will not be looking to cast people in both Halloween and Christmas.)
THE CHRISTMAS LETTER CAPER (A Christmas Musical Mystery)
By Marley Sterner
Directed by Trevor Matheson, Musical Direction by Melissa Dorsey and Stage Manager Yvonne Ustick
Run time: 30min
As a lover of all things Christmas, Postmistress Mary takes great pride in collecting the townsfolk’s Christmas cards and letters to Santa each year. But when the Christmas mailbox is robbed the night before delivery, Mary recruits Karl Ebenezer—a newspaper boy and amateur detective who resents the nickname “Scrooge”—to crack the case. Paper and pens, toys and tinsel will fly in this witty, who-dun-it musical about Christmas traditions and community in 1910 Alberta.
- POSTMISTRESS MARY KIND – Spirited lover of all things Christmas and letter-writing enthusiast. A friend to everyone in the community. Wants the townsfolk to remember the true meaning of Christmas.
- KARL EBENEZZER – Fisherman in summer, handyman in winter. Always has bad luck on Christmas and resents being nicknamed “Scrooge.” Wants to break his Christmas-curse and change his name’s reputation once and for all. (Can be cast female as “Karla”)
- MOTHER NOELLE – Mary’s friend, a housewife, mother of six, and serial club/society-joiner. Also quite the gossip. Wants to help Mary and Karl solve the case because she thinks it will make for good town drama.
- MS. ELTEAU – An entrepreneur who wants to bring more business into town–– and wouldn’t mind making a quick buck or two in the process.
- HOLLY SCHREIBER – Co-owns the bookshop/paper shoppe, a certified optimist.
- HEATHER SCHREIBER – Co-owns the bookshop/paper shoppe, a certified pessimist.
- MR./MR D. BAUMGARTEN – The antiques shoppe owner. Wants to bring back old-fashioned traditions… even if those new-fangled gizmos are kinda cool.
- MR./MS. TINSLEY – The toyshop owner. Over-confident frontrunner for best Christmas display, because he already has the “hottest store in town” during the holidays.
- Rehearsals will begin in October with 2 rehearsals a week ramping up in November with 2-3 rehearsals a week.
- Rehearsals will be evenings and weekends.
- Rehearsals will be held at Heritage Park.
There will be 3 performances a day in the Canmore Opera House.
Call time will be 10am.
Performers will be released after the last performance of the day (around 4pm-4:30pm).
CHRISTMAS PERFORMANCE DATES:
- November 25, 26
- December 2, 3, 9, 10, 16, 17 and 23
We will have two casts. Persons submitting must be available for either all Saturday or Sunday performance dates. No exceptions.
- Thursday, Sept 7 (1pm-10pm)
- Saturday, Sept 9 (6:30pm-10pm)
- Sunday, Sept 10 (6:30pm-10pm)
Auditions will be held at Heritage Park.
- Applicants need not have any formal training. We encourage all who’d like to participate to apply.
- Applicants must be 15 years or older
- Prepare given sides (to be sent upon audition confirmation.)
CASTING PERSONS IN ATTENDANCE:
Artistic Production Coordinator/Director – Trevor Matheson
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT: Tuesday, September 5th, 2023 @ 5pm.
Interested actors, please send the following via e-mail with the subject “HP 2023 Christmas Audition Submission” to Trevor Matheson at TMatheson@HeritagePark.ca
- Character(s) you’re interested in
- Your availability for the audition dates
- Any availability conflicts (between Oct 1st-Nov 24th)
Only those selected to audition will be contacted with an audition time. Heritage Park is committed to diverse, inclusive casting. Once Upon A Christmas is a volunteer performance contract and will be considered volunteers of Heritage Park. Equity members will not be seen at these auditions. Thank you for your understanding.