About Vertigo Theatre
Vertigo Theatre is a premiere cultural institution in Calgary and has entertained audiences for over 45 years with high-quality programming. It is the only theatre in North America programming a season based entirely in the intrigue and mystery genre. Located at the base of the Calgary Tower, the Vertigo complex is home to our administration, ticket offices, and two performance venues. Vertigo aims to thrill, entertain, and challenge by creating theatre that ignites the curiosity of our community. We are dedicated to the revitalization of the mystery theatre genre and to inspiring and mentoring the next generation of arts leaders.
About the Position
Vertigo Theatre is seeking an individual for the position of Head of Paint for the 2023-2024 season. Reporting to the Technical Director and the Production and Facility Manager, the Head of Paint will work with the Set Designers to realize the final vision for the colours and textures of the set.
The Head of Paint will primarily be responsible for finishing the sets for the 5 productions during the Vertigo Season. Other responsibilities may include assisting with facility painting and special projects, if time and interest allow.
- Work with the Set Designer to realize the finish for the set
- Work with the Technical Director to estimate time and labour required to paint each production
- Work with the Technical Director to order all materials required and estimate paint and materials costs for each production
- Finish all scenic elements, including but not limited to spackling, texturing, base coating, finishing textures and paint, and glaze as required
- Hire assistants as required
Skills and Requirements
- Experience in scenic painting for a professional theatre company
- Experience leading and supervising a crew
- Experience working with Designers and Directors
- Confidence in troubleshooting, creative problem solving, and research
- Ability to maintain a high quality of workmanship, achieving the attention to detail that the Theatre requires
- Self-motivated and able to work effectively independently, and also take direction well
- Comfortable working at heights and capable of climbing ladders and scaffolding
- Fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (except in cases of a medical exemption)
Hours and Dates
Hours of work are flexible and will be set with the Technical Director. This position will typically work from 9am to 6pm with evenings and weekends as necessary.
Dates for set painting are:
- Show 1: September 11 – 18, 2023
- Show 2: October 30 – November 6, 2023
- Show 3: January 8 – 15, 2024
- Show 4: February 26 – March 4, 2024
- Show 5: April 22 – 29, 2024
Compensation and Benefits
- $27 per hour plus applicable overtime
- 4% vacation paid out on each cheque
- Access to building amenities, including Fitness Centre, Tenant Lounge, and secure bike lock-up.
Please note parking expenses are the employee’s responsibility and no designated parking is available onsite.
Deadline to Submit
Please apply by August 11, 2023. Interviews will begin as applications are received.
To apply, please send:
- Cover letter
- Three References
To Jessie Paynter, Production and Facilities Manager, at Jessie.Paynter@vertigotheatre.com
Please use the subject line “Head of Paint Application”.
At Vertigo Theatre we are committed to a respectful work environment and a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals including visible minorities and people with disabilities.
Thank you to all applicants. If you need additional assistance to apply for this position, please call 403-221-3716 or email Jessie.Paynter@vertigotheatre.com. For more information about Vertigo Theatre please visit our website, www.vertigotheatre.com.