The Citadel Theatre in Edmonton, Alberta is looking for a highly organized team player who thrives in a fast-paced environment to lead our Production team as Director of Production. This is a full-time position starting August 14, 2023.
Founded in 1965, the Citadel Theatre is one of the largest non-profit arts organizations in Alberta, and one of the largest regional theatres in Canada. The Citadel is a very active, not-for-profit theatre producing a season which usually includes a Mainstage series of six plays, our seasonal production of A Christmas Carol, a summer musical, our Highwire Series, our multidisciplinary House Series, and assorted unique projects as they arise from season to season. We support a vibrant theatre school and an active new play development program. Our facilities are available for rental by other arts organizations and community groups.
We maintain and operate a massive (one square city block) facility in downtown Edmonton, Alberta, which is frequently used by numerous arts organizations, schools, businesses, and community groups. Our facility includes five unique venues, world-class production facilities, and theatre school classrooms. The Citadel complex includes:
- The Shoctor Theatre – a proscenium stage with 686 seats
- The Maclab Theatre – a thrust stage with 685 seats
- The Rice Theatre – a 155 seat cabaret-style theatre
- The Tucker Amphitheatre – an open-air multi-functional area which seats 150
- Zeidler Hall – a 220 seat theatre suitable for films and lectures
- The Lee Pavilion – a beautiful indoor garden.
The Director of Production reports to the Artistic Director (AD) and Executive Director (ED). The primary responsibly of this role is to ensure high quality productions and making appropriate, effective, and safe use of our facilities and human and financial resources. The Director of Production must be ready to take a proactive role in creating and maintaining a respectful and positive workplace. This role manages five direct reports included the Technical Director, Assistant Director of Production, Assistant Technical Directors (2), and the Administrative Assistant to Production, as well as overseeing IATSE department heads and staff.
Under the direction of AD and ED; and in collaboration with the Technical Director (TD):
- Lead Representative of the Production Department during rehearsal, technical rehearsals and meetings.
- Create budgets, schedules and activities related to Citadel productions.
- An active participant in season planning with AD and ED and other team members.
- Participate in aspects of design, construction and technical aspects of Citadel productions, including our producing partners.
- Budgeting, costing and purchasing of materials, equipment, as related to Citadel productions.
- Ensuring the effective and efficient operation of theatre facilities and equipment.
- Supervising the arrangements for and effective and efficient operation of get-ins, fit-ups, sound checks, installations and strikes for Citadel productions.
- Scheduling and managing staffing to ensure appropriate technical staff are present to meet the technical and production needs of the Citadel.
- Ensuring compliance with all relevant legislation, licensing and safety requirements, IATSE agreement and company policies.
- Liaising with and supporting production creative teams.
- Facilitating inter-departmental communication between artistic, creative, administrative and production personnel.
- Work with ED on collective agreement contract negotiations.
- Negotiations and writing of contracts for designers and stage management.
- Collaborate with Producer, AD and ED on co-production, presentation and community partnership contract negotiation and creation.
- Read and abide by Citadel Theatre policies and procedures; and when necessary, enforce Citadel Policy in conjunction with HR.
- Minimum 10 years of management experience in a theatre setting.
- Post-secondary technical theatre training, in Production Management, Stage Management or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of production techniques and theatre equipment.
- Strong team leadership, communication and interpersonal skills
- Highly organized, able to multi-task, prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Occasionally required to work evenings and weekends.
- Experience working with IATSE, CAEA, ADC, AFM, PACT
- Familiarity with Canadian theatre community
- Proficiency of Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel), Adobe Acrobat; Working knowledge of Vectorworks and / or AutoCAD is an asset.
- A positive, collaborative attitude.
This position pays an annual salary of $90,000+ and includes paid vacation and health plan benefits.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to email a resume by June 12, 2023 to:
Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available upon request.
The Citadel Theatre is committed to having our team reflect the community it serves and actively welcome applicants from diverse and equity-seeking backgrounds. The Citadel also endeavors to create and guard a culture of respect and cooperation with all staff, artists, colleagues, volunteers and internal / external parties.
Thank you for your interest but only those persons chosen for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
WORKING WITH CITADEL THEATRE
The Citadel Theatre is in the heart of amiskwaciwâskahikan ᐊᒥᐢᑲᐧᒋᐋᐧᐢᑲᐦᐃᑲᐣ (Edmonton, AB), and we are proud to call Treaty 6 territory home. As a regional theatre, it is integral that we ensure that the stories we tell, as well as the composition of our artists, board, staff, students, and audience are reflective of the diverse lived experiences in this dynamic city. For more on Citadel Theatre’s Equity, Inclusivity, and Diversity commitments, please visit: https://bit.ly/CitadelEDI.