1000 MONKEYS PROJECT – YYC FRINGE
Over the past couple of years we have hosted with the Calgary Fringe the 1000 Monkeys Project – a 24-hour playwriting marathon. This year we are partnering with the Calgary Fringe for a different event under the same name.
The 2023 1000 Monkeys Project will be an open competition for Calgary and area playwrights to submit a new 10-minute play.
Submissions will be accepted until June 20, 2023. The submissions will be read, and 5 plays will be selected for a public staged reading at the Calgary Fringe on Monday, August 7, 2023.
Selected writers will be paid $150 for their work.
- all plays must be 10 minutes in length (approximately 8 to 10 pages). We are looking for complete 10 minute plays and not scenes from other plays.
- all submitted plays must be unproduced.
- the plays must be able to be read by a maximum of four actors (if you have more than four characters, you must provide instructions as per the double casting of roles).
- playwrights can enter a maximum of two plays for the competition.
- plays must be received by 11:59pm on June 20, 2023.
- plays must be submitted in PDF format
- plays must be written in 12pt font
- please include a cover letter with contact information and a brief biography.
DO NOT include your name or any other personal information on the script itself. The selection committee judges the plays blind with no knowledge of who the writer is.
Submissions can be made via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to submit – June 20, 2023