Grindstone Theatre is seeking a Director for our upcoming Community Production Program! We are looking for experienced, talented directors to help our students learn and discover through a full rehearsal process.
The Community Production is one of Grindstone Theatre School’s newest programs! This program was designed and developed to give students the opportunity to learn and experience a full rehearsal and show process. The Director is expected to teach students how to participate in a rehearsal hall, make use of any downtime, and how to conduct themselves during tech and performance week. This is not an Acting class, but a program to help Acting students or beginner performers learn how a community theatre rehearsal process works.
There will be 2 casts (Cast A will rehearse on Tuesday evenings and Cast B will rehearse Thursday evenings). Both casts will perform the same One Act, and act as understudies for the opposite cast. Each cast will have a minimum of 6 students and a maximum of 8 students.
The Director of the Community Production would be responsible for coordinating and communicating with the Education Manager. They will work together to hold auditions and cast the show. The Director will be responsible for scheduling actors for rehearsals and ensuring the students’ time is used to the fullest extent in the rehearsal hall. The Director must work closely with the Stage Manager and Technician.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
Responsibilities of Instructor:
- Uphold the Community Standards Policy (https://www.grindstonetheatre.com/community-standards)
- Report to the Artistic Director if this policy has been violated/infringed upon.
- Checking email frequently for updates/information about classes.
- Any other forms of social media are not to be used for communication (Instagram, Facebook, etc.)
- Key Holder for the Studio space (unlock doors prior to the start of class and lock up after the class)
- Arrive at The Grindstone at least 15 minutes prior to scheduled class time.
- Attendance is taken during class on either the online version or the physical copy of the attendance sheet provided
- Maintaining a clean, safe and organized studio space
- Report any issues to the Education Manager or Artistic Director
- Create a safe space for students
- Provide a recent headshot and bio for our website
- Appear in promotional videos and material for the Theatre School
- Source substitute(s) if the instructor is ill or unable to make a class
- Assist in social media shares as much as possible (provided the instructor has social media accounts and is comfortable with sharing)
- Other duties as required
Responsibilities of Director:
- Work in collaboration with the Education Manager to schedule, promote and host auditions
- Work in collaboration with the Education Manager to cast the show
- Schedule rehearsals to ensure you are making the most of the student’s time in the classroom/rehearsal hall
- Teach students how to be respectful in a rehearsal environment, and teach the expectations of the rehearsal hall
- Teach students how to complete work outside of classroom (Character work, Line memorization, Coming to rehearsal with offers)
- Be present and available for all rehearsals, tech week and performances (See dates below in Schedule/Wage)
- Communicate frequently with the Education Manager
- Communicate and coordinate with the Stage Manager
- Communicate and coordinate with the Technician
- Work with Education Manager to develop show poster and square for promotion
- 1-2 years experience in teaching
- 1-2 years experience in Directing
- Experience working with large groups of different ages (18+)
- Strong interpersonal and customer relations skills. Ability to create and sustain positive working relationships with students and staff
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated attention to detail with the ability to manage competing priorities at work
- Self-directed with the ability to take feedback and implement it
- Contract work based on Fall 2023 Semester
- Classes/Rehearsals run on Tuesdays and Thursdays from Sept 19 – Nov 16 from 6:00pm – 9:00pm
- Tech Week is Nov 21 – 24 (the director may be asked to be available during the day on Friday Nov 24)
- Performances will be on Saturday Nov 25 and Sunday Nov 26 (4 performances total)
- Grindstone Theatre School is paying $1,968 for 41 hours of class time
To apply, please send a Cover letter & Resume to Jules Pepin at firstname.lastname@example.org . Please note “Community Production Director Call” in the Subject line. No phone calls please. Posting Closes: June 5, 2023