OPEN CALL FOR: ARTISTIC DIRECTOR (VOLUNTEER POSITION) THEATRE OUTRÉ
THEATRE OUTRÉ IS A NOT-FOR-PROFIT, INDEPENDENT THEATRE SOCIETY BASED IN LETHBRIDGE, ALBERTA. THEATRE OUTRÉ IS AN OUTLET FOR ALTERNATIVE, QUEER THEATRE IN ALBERTA.
The Artistic Director (AD) creates the performance and production schedule for the year and develops Theatre Outré’s production program by proposing shows to the board that could be performed during the season. The shows comprise theatrical content, subject matter, styles, and forms that are alternative to what is currently offered in our community. The AD will engage with and offer theatrical opportunities to under-represented voices in the 2SLGBTQIA+ community. They will lead the overall performance and production team and oversee the theatrical development of Theatre Outré. Reporting to the Board of Directors and in close collaboration with the General Manager, the Artistic Director defines the artistic vision of Theatre Outré and develops its annual program and all related activities.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Plan and implement the annual production program, choosing social themes to explore.
- Collaborate with Board and creative team on production budgets and annual budgets.
- Establish the production schedule for the season and ensure enough volunteers are available.
- Sustain a recognizable artistic identity or brand for Theatre Outré through productions.
- Promote Theatre Outré productions within the community, through marketing, fundraising, interviews, posts on social media platforms, etc.
- Collaborate with the board and other organizations and groups within the community to build partnerships and enhance sponsorship activities to engage audiences.
- Invite existing and new theatre partners to get involved with special events being organized.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Demonstrated leadership skills with leading and coaching teams to successful outcomes, with a strong preference for theatre, music, dance, or related experience.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Strong networking and communication skills to establish private and professional networks that recognize the benefits of investing resources in the organization and its mission.
- Ability to collaborate with other team members to achieve desired outcomes that support the aims of Theatre Outré
- Strong problem-solving skills to improvise when technical challenges arise during shows.
- Strong work ethic and passionate commitment to advancing the mission of the organization.
- Strong communication skills to cultivate community and audience connections.
- Ability and confidence in telling a compelling story about Theatre Outré that others believe in.
- Friendly, professional demeanor and considered approachable by others they interact with.
- Strong organizational and process-driven skills, with an excellent follow-through on actions.
- Demonstrated work, school or volunteer experience or knowledge in theatrical or other artistic performances with audiences.
- Diploma or bachelor’s degree in fine arts (or related discipline), or equivalent experience.
- Bringing a network of potential collaborators would be considered an asset.
- Passionate interest in theatre and education of the fine arts in the Lethbridge community.
- Legally entitled to volunteer in Canada, with the ability to meet volunteer screening requirements (e.g. criminal check, including a vulnerable sector verification).
- Class 5 driver’s license considered an asset.
- Experience working with non-profit organizations considered an asset.
Depending on the time and availability of interested candidates, this role may become a co-Artistic Director role.
Prospective candidates should send their letter of interest, a CV, and names of three professional references and/or reference letters before May 14th 2023 to: firstname.lastname@example.org