About Vertigo Theatre
Vertigo Theatre is a premiere cultural institution in Calgary and has entertained audiences for over 45 years with high-quality programming. It is the only theatre in North America programming a season based entirely in the mystery genre. Located at the base of the Calgary Tower, the Vertigo complex is home to our administration, ticket offices and two performance venues. Vertigo aims to thrill, entertain, and challenge by creating theatre that ignites the curiosity of our community. We are dedicated to the revitalization of the mystery theatre genre and to inspiring and mentoring the next generation of arts leaders.
About the Position
Vertigo Theatre is looking for a dynamic, collaborative team member with a passion for theatrical innovation, mentorship, and training. The candidate will have proven experience, the ability to manage technical theatre installations, assist with budget tracking, and overall production and facility planning. Reporting to the Production and Facilities Manager, the Technical Director is responsible for overseeing all technical elements for productions produced and/or presented by Vertigo Theatre.
- Work with Designers reviewing Set, Props, Costume, Lighting, Sound, and Projection designs to ensure effectiveness, efficiency, cost, and safety
- Work with all technical and creative personnel to ensure that there is open communication between all departments
- Create technical drawings for construction of sets and props
- Build or oversee the build of any special effects and electrical devices including but not limited to blood, gunshots, appearing/disappearing, rigging, atmospheric effects, flame and pyrotechnics
- Supervise and provide instruction on the use of special effects to members of the Production team and artists as appropriate
- Research, source and order the optimal equipment to be used to realize designs
- Adhere to budget guidelines as determined by the Production Manager
- Arrange for technical drawings and construction materials to be delivered to the Carpenter in a timely manner
- Coordinate and supervise set load-ins and fit-ups, technical rehearsals, strikes and maintenance, including the scheduling of Technical Crew labour
- Create and execute rigging plans for the safe use of stage rigging equipment, and perform annual inspections and maintenance of venue rigging equipment
- Obtain and oversee the application for and execution of any necessary permits related to production, such as open flame and street use permits
- Oversee and document the operation and maintenance of all theatre systems and inventory, including keeping inventory lists and designer paperwork current
- Hire and supervise all Technical Crew, Production Heads of Departments, and Production Assistants, in conjunction with the Production & Facilities Manager
- Provide mentorship and training to members of the Production team as appropriate
- Assist the Production & Facilities Manager with facility maintenance
- Ensure the safety of the workplace by helping to establish and enforcing all health, security and safety policies and procedures
Skills and Requirements
- Project Management experience in a supervisory role
- An extensive knowledge of all elements of theatre production
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Technical skills in lighting, sound, projections and special effects
- Strong carpentry skills including scenic construction techniques and cost estimation
- A strong working knowledge of Vectorworks with the ability to create detailed construction drawings
- Experience working in Excel spreadsheets using formulas
- Experience leading and supervising crew and staff
- Experience working with Designers and Directors
- Ability to maintain a high quality of workmanship, achieving the attention to detail that the Theatre requires
- Degree in Technical Theatre with three (3) years experience working in a professional theatre company OR equivalent combination of training and experience
- Comfortable working at heights and able to lift 50lbs
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License (or equivalent) and clean Driver’s Abstract
- Able to rent vehicles and comfortable driving large vehicles
- Certifications are an asset, including:
- Standard First Aid
- Possession and Acquisition License (PAL)
- Fall Arrest and/or Working at Heights Certification
- Pyrotechnics License
Vertigo Theatre encourages a team-oriented environment. All personnel are required to participate in a wide range of activities or take on additional responsibilities from time to time that may be outside of the Core Responsibilities & Duties for each position.
Hours of Work
40 hours per week with evenings and weekends when required. Hybrid work including work-from-home is encouraged where possible.
As this is a management position, overtime is not applicable. Vertigo Theatre encourages Managers to organize their schedules as required to balance out heavier work periods vs. lighter in order to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
- $56,160 – $60,320 per year based on experience, paid semi-monthly
- 3 weeks holidays per annum plus other company designated holidays
- Extended Health and Dental plan after 3 months with cost shared 50/50 between employee and employer
- Access to building amenities, including Fitness Centre and tenant lounge
- Professional development opportunities
Please note parking expenses are the employee’s responsibility and no designated parking is available onsite.
Deadline to Submit
The position will remain open until an appropriate candidate is selected. Interviews will begin as applications are received, commencing May 29, 2023.
This position has a start date of July 3, 2023.
Please send a cover letter with a resume as well as three references to Jessie Paynter, Production and Facilities Manager, at Jessie.Paynter@vertigotheatre.com.
Please use the subject line Technical Director Application.
At Vertigo Theatre we are committed to a respectful work environment and a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals including visible minorities and people with disabilities.
Thank you to all applicants. If you need additional assistance to apply for this position, please call 403-221-3716 or email Jessie.Paynter@vertigotheatre.com. For more information about Vertigo Theatre please visit our website, www.vertigotheatre.com.