Grindstone Theatre is seeking an Education Assistant for 20 – 30 hours per week. We are looking for someone with administration and education experience to help the Education Manager coordinate and facilitate the summer camps and workshops at The Grindstone Theatre School. This job will include assisting the Education Manager in supervising the summer camps, classes, workshops and intensives. It also involves communicating with parents, students and instructors, reviewing administrative documents and completing outreach at each of our summer festivals and other summer events. Applicants must be self-starters and able to self manage their time, workload and other responsibilities.
If you are passionate about theatre arts, have a background in Theatrical Education or social media and are able to manage and solve problems on the fly – we think you would be a great fit!
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Be knowledgeable and informed about all programs offered through Grindstone Theatre School
- Communicate with instructors, students and Education Manager regularly
- Give daily updates of tasks completed to the Education Manager
- Assist in producing showcases and communicate with instructors for tech and showcase needs
- Follow and uphold Theatre School Policies
- Complete outreach at any summer festivals or events
- Be able to sell or promote our ongoing and upcoming programs to any interested parties
- Assist with set up and tear down of Grindstone Festivals (Comedy Fest, Disco in the Park, Fringe)
- Help the Education Manager in creating and managing content for Theatre School social media accounts
- Administrative duties such as reviewing any documents created by the Education Manager, keeping up with correspondence, any additional duties as assigned
- Be available and present for the run of camps, classes, workshops, intensives and festivals
- Be the site contact while programs are in session (to be split between Education Manager and Summer Education Assistant)
- Other duties as required
- 1-2 years experience in instructing or admin for Theatre or Education programming (Acting, Improv, Musical Theatre, etc)
- Obtaining or have obtained a University degree or college diploma – (eg. Business, Events, Arts and Cultural Management, Theatre Arts, BA Drama, BA Education, etc)
- General knowledge of theatre practice
- Strong interpersonal and customer relations skills. Ability to create and sustain positive working relationships with theatre companies and staff.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrates attention to detail with the ability to manage competing priorities at work.
- Self-directed with the ability to take initiative.
- The Summer Assistant MUST be available for the following dates:
Start Date: Monday June 26, 2023
Classes: June 26 from 5:00pm – 9:00pm
Classes: June 27 from 5:00pm – 9:00pm
Classes: June 28 from 5:00pm – 9:00pm
Comedy Fest: July 6 – 10, 2023
Workshops: July 16, July 22 and July 29-30, 2023
Camps: July 10 – 14, 17 – 21, and 24 – 28, 2023 (the assistant will not be needed each week day, they will focus on the workshops that occur on the weekends)
Disco in the Park: August 3 – 6, 2023
Showcases: August 9 at 9PM and August 10 at 7 & 9PM
Edmonton Fringe Festival: August 14 – 27, 2023
Final Day: August 31, 2023
- Wage based on Canada Summer Jobs Grant
- Must be under 30 years old
- 20 – 30 hours per week.
- Mixed availability – partial day times and partial evening and weekends
To apply, please send a Cover letter & Resume to Jules Pepin at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note Summer Education Assistant in the subject line. No phone calls please. Posting closes May 29, 2023.