BOX OFFICE MANAGER
NORTHERN LIGHT THEATRE
Northern Light Theatre (NLT) is an Edmonton based theatre company with a mandate to challenge both artist and audience alike by producing and developing provocative scripts – language rich texts that are dark, poetic, funny – which reflect a complex world and lead us to question our hierarchy of values. Operating as a not for profit organization and a registered charity, NLT has been producing theatre for over 45 years and continually strives to provide audiences with opportunities to challenge themselves and their notions of the environment surrounding them.
Under the creative artistic vision of Trevor Schmidt, with full support of the administrative team and the board, NLT is dedicated to producing intimate and affecting work that speaks to the modern audience of the urban human condition, the failure to find security and the loss of the dreams held by all for love and happiness.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Reporting to the General Manager this role is responsible for managing Northern Light Theatre’s Box Office. This is a part-time position. Full training on NLT’s new ticketing system will be provided. During the training period and leading up to and during performances and special events/fundraisers they will be required to be in the office and at the theatre/event space. There will be some flexibility in working remotely during “non-performance” times.
The successful candidate will focus on ticket sales, the management and administration of box office operations, functionality, accountability and customer service. The position will also be responsible for providing accurate and timely ticket, show performance, and other event-based reporting.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assisting with initial set up of new Red61 ticketing system (training will be provided.)
- Process subscription orders, single ticket sales, ticket exchanges and/or refunds, and ticket donation requests in an efficient and timely manner.
- Answering and returning phone calls while in the office.
- Oversee ticket orders and generate accompanying reporting as required.
- Responsible for all cash, cheque, and card transactions and reconciliations made through the box office and ticketing system.
- Identify and troubleshoot customer service issues to provide the fastest and most positive resolution for the customer.
- Guide patrons through their online interactions with Northern Light Theatre’s website and online ticketing system.
- Provide helpful information to patrons, including suggestions for events, performances, parking options, directions, access for patrons with disabilities, etc.
- Work the box office at all Northern Light Theatre performances to sell and distribute tickets, and handle any issues that may arise, working closely with the Stage Manager and theatre venue’s House Manager.
- Participant in performance box office/production meetings with NLT staff and theatre venue employees.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Box office or similar experience in the performing arts is preferred.
- Must be able to work independently and accurately.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Position requires the ability to accommodate a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends.
- Candidate must have the ability to work with the public and possess customer service skills.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications.
- Previous experience with Red61 and/or Theatre Manager ticketing systems would be helpful but not required.
10 hours per week on average.
$20.00 per hour
Office address is #203, 10816A – 82 Ave. Parking is available.
As soon as possible. Ideally training would start the week of May 8, 2023
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT
May 5, 2023, or until a suitable candidate is selected.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants are required to submit a cover letter and resume in one PDF document addressed to Bridget Norris-Jones, General Manager at GM@northernlighttheatre.com. Your cover letter and resume should clearly outline previous experience relating to the position.
As an equal opportunity and inclusive employer, NLT welcomes applications from all qualified individuals. Every applicant will be notified whether or not they have been selected for an interview. For more information about Northern Light Theatre please visit our website, www.northernlighttheatre.com.