SUMMER INTERN – DESIGN, MARKETING & SOCIAL MEDIA – Two 8-week contracts available
STORYBOOK THEATRE SOCIETY
In our almost 47 years of serving Calgary, StoryBook Theatre has fostered over one million people’s love and passion for theatre arts. We are Canada’s largest volunteer-driven Theatre for Young Audiences and families, performing from our home in the Beddington Theatre Arts Centre. We bring stories to life that encourage children and their families to dream about who they are and may become, explore ideas from different perspectives, think using inductive reasoning, and make stronger connections to others. Each season we bring together some of the industry’s brightest emerging talents both on and off the stage to create accessible theatre for the whole family.
About the Role:
StoryBook Theatre is actively recruiting two interns for two 8-week contracts to help support our in-house communications team.
Contract 1 – May 15 to July 15 – 35hrs per week
Contract 2 – June 19 to Sept 2 – 35hrs per week
Interns will help StoryBook develop and implement a variety of communication strategies for our 47th Season of Shows, Year-Round Theatre School, and provide administrative support for our organization. This position will report directly to the Marketing Director, indirectly to the Artistic Producer, and work with office and production teams to communicate our brand values, positioning, and messaging across all channels.
The successful candidates will build a working understanding of professional design practice, social media, and effective marketing strategies to promote audience engagement and retention, stage productions, theatre school programming, and the overall vision of StoryBook Theatre. Throughout the contract, we encourage and welcome fresh ideas on communication initiatives, opportunities, and recommendations on brand development.
This hybrid role combines the opportunity to work from home with occasional in-person work at StoryBook, located in Beddington Theatre Arts Centre in Northeast Calgary. Flexible working hours may be available, provided regular communication and deadlines are met. Some evenings and weekends may be required and will be factored into the weekly schedule.
This position is being made possible through a Canada Summer Jobs Grant and therefore we are seeking students aged 18 to 30 for this role. We are not limited by this, but stronger consideration will be made for those candidates that meet this age criteria for this grant.
- Experience using Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop
- Knowledge of MS Word and Excel or Google Docs and Sheets
- A commitment to meet via Zoom video for regularly scheduled check-ins and project reviews
- Maintain regular communication through our online project management tool, Trello. Training will be provided
- A commitment to asking questions, receiving, and giving feedback
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, with the capacity to work on a variety of projects at once
- Ability to work independently to meet project deliverables
- Strong knowledge of oral and written English
- Create promotional communications and designs that are in line with the vision and branding of the organization
- Support in the development and implementation of marketing collateral
- Development of social media posts, email campaigns, and marketing calendar
- Photo shoot art direction assistance and support
- Administration tasks such as digital file organization and archiving
Successful candidates should:
- Be under 30 years old and currently enrolled in post-secondary, or be a recent graduate of an arts or marketing program
- Have a computer equipped with relevant software and a reliable internet connection
- Have focused attention to detail
- Have strong communication and teamwork skills
- An openness to collaboration, receiving feedback and direction
- Be an organized self-starter with an impressive work ethic, supported by time management skills and a commitment to meeting deadlines
- A positive attitude, a flexible mindset, and an eagerness to learn
Preferences will be given to candidates with
- A passion for theatre and the performing arts
- An interest in photography and art direction
- An understanding of motion graphics software is encouraged but not mandatory
- Knowledge of social media marketing tactics
- An excitement to learn and grow under the mentorship of StoryBook’s small but mighty in-house team
- Submit a resume with relevant work experience. Don’t worry if you don’t have a lot of professional experience in Graphic Design and Marketing on your CV – we’re looking for individuals with a customer service mindset
- Include a link to your online portfolio or attach a single PDF with at least five relevant design projects and/or written work. These can be from school or client work. Please include a short description of each piece which describe the brief and your solution.
- Please indicate your preferred contract dates, if applicable.
Compensation: $16-$20/hour, depending based on experience and expertise. 35 hours per week.
StoryBook Theatre believes that inclusivity and diversity are integral to the stories we tell both on and off our stage. We seek to create an environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best work. We encourage people of all ages, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, and ethnicity to apply for this position.
For more information and to apply, visit https://storybooktheatre.org/job-postings#designmarketing
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: MONDAY, MAY 8, 2023