Job Title: Festival Technical Director
Application Deadline: April 28, 2023 or until the position is filled
Targeted Start Date: June 5, 2023
Term: 8-week Canada Summer Jobs Contract
Compensation: $21-$23/hour, 35 hours per week (rate based on qualifications and experience)
The Thousand Faces Festival is seeking a Technical Director to oversee the implementation of rigging, lighting, sound, and projections for our 2023 Festival this summer. For over 10 years, The Thousand Faces Festival has celebrated the myths and stories at the roots of Edmonton’s many cultures through theatre, music, dance, and other artistic disciplines. We are committed to ensuring that our staff, crew, and artistic teams also reflect the diversity we see on our stages. We strongly encourage submissions from people of all backgrounds and look forward to continuing our tradition of discovering what connects us all through art. As the Thousand Faces Festival Association supports the Canada Summer Jobs program’s national priority to improve access to the labour market for youth who face unique barriers, we are actively encouraging applications from BIPOC individuals for the Technical Director position. Applicants of all backgrounds will be considered on an equal basis.
This position is expected to be funded in part through the Canada Summer Jobs Program. To be eligible, applicants must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the beginning of the employment period
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial legislation and regulations
Festival Technical Director Job Description:
The Festival Technical Director will work with the Festival’s Producer/Production Manager and technicians to implement and operate technical elements of the 2023 Thousand Faces Festival. The Technical Director may, at times, be the most senior technical staff member on site and will be responsible for venue supervision and safety.
Responsibilities will include:
- Supervise technicians engaged by the Festival
- Act as day to day supervisor of the Festival’s venues
- Manage and supervise the use of all Festival technical equipment and capabilities
- Gear maintenance and repair as necessary
- Keep an up to date list of all Festival technical equipment and capabilities
- Build and operate technical aspects of the Festival as needed, with a focus on rigging, lighting, sound, and projections, but may also include some light set and prop construction
- Creatively troubleshoot technical issues as they arise in a flexible and enthusiastic manner
- Source the rental or purchase of materials and/or tech equipment for the Festival in conjunction with the Producer and/or Production Manager
- Act as an effective liaison between the artists, designers, crew, and Festival management
- Attend production meetings as scheduled
- Provide insight and recommendations to implement artistic requirements using the Festival’s technical capabilities
- Enforce and stay up to date on current health and safety concerns/policies, including those related to COVID-19
Studio Technical Director Qualifications:
We are looking for self-motivated individuals that have a keen interest and enthusiasm for celebrating stories at the roots of Edmonton’s many cultures through theatre, music, dance, and other arts. Formal post-secondary education in the field or at least 2 years of experience working in a professional production environment are required. Candidates must have an advanced understanding of and competence with rigging, lighting, sound, and video/broadcast technology. Experience and aptitude with prop, set, and/or costume construction is an asset. Previous supervision or mentoring experience is also an asset. A current scissor lift qualification and up to date fall protection training are required. Confidence and ability to direct workers in the safe use of manually handled equipment and ladders is a must. Candidates who are able to demonstrate their ability to use technical capabilities to achieve artistic vision will rank higher.
Please send a brief cover letter and your resume to email@example.com with the subject line ‘Festival Technical Director Application’. The Deadline to submit your application is Friday, April 28, 2023.