Job Title: Theatre Designer (Costumes, Props, Set, and Lighting)
Application Deadline: April 28, 2023 or until the position is filled
Targeted Start Date: May 29, 2023
Term: 8-week Canada Summer Jobs Contract
Compensation: $20/hour, 35 hours per week
Theatre Prospero is seeking a Theatrical Designer to work on a variety of summer projects in June and July, 2023. For the first half of the contract, the Designer will work with our Kids’ Mythic Quests Adventures ensemble, who will be devising and performing a multitude of 30-40 minute quests for kids at Edmonton parks and schools, to equip the actors with the necessary props, costumes, and potentially set pieces for use during the quests. The second half of the contract will see the Designer working with to design the venues and lighting for the summer presentations.
For over the past 20 years, Theatre Prospero has celebrated the myths and stories at the roots of Edmonton’s many cultures through our various theatre productions. Our artists and audiences come together to share these stories that reflect our diverse society. The venues where they meet include theatres in Edmonton, our home venue on Alberta Avenue, found spaces, classrooms, seniors’ centres, and school gyms across Alberta and virtually across Canada. We are committed to ensuring that our staff, crew, and artistic teams also reflect the diversity we see on our stages and strongly encourage submissions from people of all backgrounds so that we may continue our tradition of discovering what connects us all through art. As Theatre Prospero supports Canada Summer Jobs program’s national priority to improve access to the labour market for youth who face unique barriers, we are actively encouraging applications from BIPOC individuals for our Theatre Designer position. Applicants of all backgrounds will be considered on an equal basis.
This position is expected to be funded in part through the Canada Summer Jobs Program. To be eligible, applicants must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the beginning of the employment period
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial legislation and regulations
Theatre Designer Job Description:
The Designer reports directly to the Director of Production and Festival Producer for all execution of design work and to the Director for all artistic direction.
The duties of the Designer are targeted towards the delivery of concepts and materials where the artistic visions of the company and director are met and where the performers and crews are able to deliver a completed production:
- producing artistic concepts and vision in conjunction with the devising ensemble throughout rehearsals, and discussions with the Director
- liaising with festival artists to determine design requirements for their artistic presentations in conjunction with the Production Manager
- attending rehearsals and Tech Week when invited or after discussing with the Stage Manager and Director
- producing drawings and models for the production team and ensuring the Production Manager has these items before tech week and/or building weeks
- coordinating the procurement of materials for sets, props, and costumes in conjunction with the production team
- constructing set, costumes, and props in conjunction with the production team
- determining the layout and lighting design for the Myth Country Fair event in conjunction with Festival management
- creating lighting cues for each festival artists’ presentation
- respect the final say of the Director of each project and working constructively with them and the other Designers when different visions clash
Theatre Designer Qualifications:
We are looking for a self-motivated individual that has a keen interest and enthusiasm for celebrating stories at the roots of Edmonton’s many cultures through theatre, music, dance, and other arts. Experience and aptitude with prop, set, and/or costume construction is a must. Previous experience with lighting and set/venue design is an asset. Formal post secondary education (completed or in-progress) is an asset. The successful candidate will be expected to draft floor plans and lighting plots and should have a working knowledge of how to do so. Candidates who demonstrate an ability to work with minimal direction and a willingness to be open to ever evolving artistic ideas will succeed in this position.
Please email your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Summer Designer Application.” We are accepting applications until April 28, 2023, or until the position is filled.