Start Date: November 1, 2023
Compensation: Annual Salary $42,000 to $50,000/yr commensurate with experience, four (4) weeks paid vacation annually, access to professional development stipend annually
Hours: Flexible part-time within production schedule (30-35 hours per week)
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Teatro Live! is currently recruiting for a General Manager to maintain the organization’s business operations including the day to day administration tasks, operational reviews and reporting, financial management, and developmental planning. The General Manager reports to the Teatro board and, in tandem with the Artistic Director, carries out Teatro’s mandate while also advancing the organization’s current strategic priorities. Communication between these two senior roles is important and the staff team will work on projects together.
Administrative and Operational Management – 40%
- Manages daily operations and functions of the organization
- Maintains records, databases, memberships and subscriptions
- Manages Canadian Actors’ Equity Association (CAEA) business including contracts, cheques, production registrations
- Oversees payroll in tandem with a contract bookkeeper
- CRA/WCB reporting
Financial Management – 40%
- Develops, in collaboration with the Artistic Director, the annual operating and capital budgets for Board approval
- Manages daily company finances, including processing accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, remittance of payroll deductions, banking and managing cash flow
- Prepares financial reports for the Board of Directors
- Works with a contract bookkeeper to maintain the company’s financial records
- Ensures compliance with all regulatory reporting, including CRA Registered Charities and AGLC guidelines
- Works with an external accounting firm in preparation of the year-end financial statements and audit.
Development/Planning – 20%
- Assists in the implementation of Teatro productions and projects
- Maintains donor engagement, in collaboration with Artistic Director
- Manages grant writing and reporting, including submission of final reports, in collaboration with Artistic Director
- Collaborates with Artistic Director on business and audience development strategies
- Collaborates with the Artistic Director to create and implement fundraising plans
- Researches and develops revenue-generating initiatives, in collaboration with the Artistic Director
- Collaborates with the Artistic Director to develop and implement marketing plan
- Have minimum 2 years’ experience in a relevant field(s)
- Understanding and awareness of Edmonton’s arts and culture sector
- Strong organizational skills with the flexibility to be agile and manage multiple priorities
- Comfortable with technology and strong hands on working experience with Apple Products and Applications (Mac OS, Pages, Numbers), data base systems and QuickBooks)
- Demonstrated experience and success working with community partners, fund development, and theatre patrons
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Collaborative and team building work style
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume in one PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please outline previous experience relating to the position in your resume and cover letter. When creating the pdf, be sure to make your name the file name, SurnameFirstname.pdf
Teatro is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer, and a proud signatory of the 35/50 Initiative, which is a commitment to a minimum of 35% BIPOC and 50% women or non-binary people in paid, professional positions. Teatro welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.
Every applicant will be notified whether or not they have been selected for an interview. All applications will be held in confidence.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Teatro Live! (formerly Teatro La Quindicina) is an independent theatre company based in Edmonton’s Arts District, in Old Strathcona. Annually, we produce a season of 4 shows at The Varscona Theatre (200 seats), all of which are inspired by the effervescence and ethos of the plays of founding playwright Stewart Lemoine. Comedy is the name of the game: to entertain, disarm, and thrill. The company’s whimsical comedies and grassroots, collaborative process have been called “Distinctively Edmonton” (Liz Nicholls, Edmonton Journal) and has earned a fiercely loyal audience base over the course of its 40-year history. Teatro strives to provide an environment that enables artists to grow in all capacities as theatre practitioners. Its ensemble approach extends beyond the stage and is evident in the company’s organizational model, which has seen artists involved at every level of operations, from governance to production and administration. Ensemble, inclusion, community, and a commitment to the company’s creative aesthetic are integral to the budgetary and programming decisions. The company has received 2 Dora Mavor Moore Awards, 22 Elizabeth Sterling Haynes Awards and over 100 award nominations in its history.
Teatro works alongside several organizations, as a resident theatre company of The Varscona Theatre, including Shadow Theatre, Die-Nasty: The Live Improvised Soap Opera, and The Varscona Theatre Alliance Board of Directors. These collaborations are constant and exemplify the make-up of what Teatro strives to embody: community.
FULL JOB DESCRIPTION, COMPENSATION, & HOW TO APPLY VISIT TEATROLIVE.COM/HIRING