POSITION: Production Manager
STATUS: Full-time, Permanent
REPORTING: Reports to the Artistic Director & Executive Director
Persephone Theatre, a leading cultural institution in the City of Saskatoon, is seeking an energetic and collaborative individual to fulfill the role of Production Manager. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing production personnel and all production related aspects of the shows produced and presented by Persephone Theatre, while providing an environment of stability, inclusivity, and sustainability that serves Persephone’s vision and mandate, as well as the Saskatoon community.
Persephone Theatre is located on the beautiful lands of the Treaty 6 territory, whose signatories include the Nêhiyawak, Nêhithawak, Anishinabek, Nakawe, and Nakota peoples. This place also became the traditional homeland of the Métis Nation. We also acknowledge the contributions of the Dakota and Round Prairie Métis peoples in establishing our city of Saskatoon, as well as the many other Nations that call this land home, including the Nehinawak, Lakota, and Dene peoples. Persephone Theatre extends our appreciation for the opportunity to live, work, and create on these beautiful lands.
Persephone sits amidst an increasingly vibrant city centre and attracts a loyal and diverse audience looking for the very best in theatre experiences. From its busy MainStage, its second stage The BackStage Stage, and rehearsal halls; to its theatre school and youth programming; and the many events held in its venue, Persephone Theatre has established itself as a cultural hub. Persephone Theatre is committed to reflecting the rich diversity of our community in the stories we tell and the ways in which we undertake creating our work. We prioritize a workplace culture that centres equity, inclusion, and authentic representation. We strongly encourage submissions from those who self-identify as members of historically excluded communities, which includes (but is not limited to) those who identify as IBPoC, 2SLGBTQIA+, d/Deaf, or who have a disability or chronic illness.
The Production Manager is a key member of our production team. The Production Manager reports jointly to the Artistic Director and Executive Director, works collaboratively with the Technical Director, and oversee all other Production personnel. The Production Manager is an integral part of the creative visioning and smooth execution of all productions and presentations that happen in Persephone’s facilities.
Persephone Theatre is looking for an individual who is excited to take on the following responsibilities:
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist with the preparation of the annual production budget with detailed and accurate forecasting, financial reporting, and control for all production elements, including season shows, overhead, rentals, and personnel
• Manage production budgets, track production expenses, and anticipate and troubleshoot overages
• Contribute to the development of season production schedules and long-term planning
• Negotiate with artists and agents to contract designers and stage management, plus other artistic personnel as needed
• Hire and supervise production staff in all related areas; provide direction, training, support, and evaluation
• Collaborate with the Technical Director and the production team to develop technical concepts, equipment needs, staff requirements and schedules for the individual shows
• Liaise with, guide, and support designers engaged for each production
• Work with the Technical Director to cost preliminary and final designs
• Work collaboratively with the Technical Director and production staff with regards to shop scheduling and the execution of designs
• Create production schedules for installations, tech periods, and strikes of productions
• Participate in and lead production meetings
• Work with the Technical Director to insure a safe and equitable working environment for all staff
• Work with the Technical Director and the Building Committee to insure facility maintenance
• Manage facility security protocols
• Be a leader with Occupational Health & Safety protocols
• Exceptional communication, supervisory, and technical skills
• Strong, proven ability to manage, coach and mentor direct reports
• Ability to work in a changing environment while maintaining a positive outlook
• Must be a team player, and should have a love of the theatre and the performing arts
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
• Minimum 5-years of relevant professional experience in a leadership role
• Post-secondary training in Technical Production, or equivalent
• Knowledge in operation of all theatrical departments
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite is essential
• Practical experience with Vectorworks, QLab, Isadora, and other relevant and commonly used theatre software
• Experience with contract negotiation, execution, and compliance
• Experience with IATSE, Canadian Actors’ Equity Association, the Canadian Theatre Agreement, and Associated Designers of Canada
• Proven ability to lead a team
• Creative thinking and problem solving
• Belief in Persephone Theatre’s mission, vision and values, and a commitment to reconciliation, equity, diversity and inclusion
• Valid Class 5 driver’s license
• First Aid training is an asset
Salary and Benefits:
$55,000-60,000 per annum, commensurate with experience
3 weeks vacation, accrued annually
Comprehensive extended health and dental plan
This is a salaried, full-time position working year-round and will require some work during evenings, weekends and holidays. Overtime work can be banked and offered back as time in lieu. Persephone Theatre is a member of the Professional Association of Canadian Theatres and operates within the jurisdiction of the Canadian Theatre Agreement and IATSE local 300. The successful candidate will have extensive knowledge and adhere to these agreements and offer guidance for negotiations.
The ideal candidate will begin in August 2023. Exact start date to be negotiated.
Please send a letter of interest and CV by email to Breanne Harmon, Executive Director email@example.com by May 15, 2023. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. All applications are held in strict confidence. Thank you to all applicants. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
If there is a potential barrier that might prevent you from being able to apply, we encourage you to let us know so we can work with you to resolve it. If you require assistance with your application, please reach out to Breanne Harmon, Executive Director firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 306-382-2126 ext 223.
Fair and equitable employee and volunteer recruitment practices will be used at all times so that all qualified persons regardless of race, creed, age, gender, gender expression, gender identity, marital status, nationality, ancestry, ethnic origins, family relationship, number of dependents, disability, sexual orientation, political affiliation, socio-economic status, or membership in a union will be considered to fill any positions that may become available within the theatre. Persephone Theatre recognizes that people experience disadvantages achieving candidacy due to systemic oppression. Our candidate search process will be deliberately mindful of under-represented groups, and aims to be cognizant of any biases that may interfere with an equitable hiring practice. Persephone Theatre’s employment goal is to hire competent, highly engaged individuals to constitute a staff and volunteer base that reflects the diversity of our community. Persephone Theatre relies on section 48 of the Saskatchewan Human Rights code to give preference to marginalized and racialized people.