Tiny Bear Jaws is stoked to announce our inaugural SOLO SHOW CREATION LAB, led by solo creator Elena (or Eli) Belyea (she/they) and taking place in Edmonton, AB at Fringe Theatre this upcoming May 15-26, 2023. ✨
⚡️This intensive 2-week workshop will lead a brave and boundary-breaking cohort through structured prompts, exercises, and activities to help germinate the seeds of a new piece. It’ll run Monday to Friday and take place from 10-5PM, featuring a small public sharing of our works-in-process on the final day. ✌️ We’re also partnering with a local filmmaker + photographer, so participants will leave this intensive with PROMO PHOTOS (📸) and ARCHIVAL VIDEO (📹) of an excerpt of their piece to use for future promotions and applying for funding opportunities. 📝
WHO’S RUNNING IT? 📝
This lab will be facilitated by solo show writer and performer Elena Belyea (graduate of the National Theatre School of Canada’s Playwriting program) with support from Stage Manager, Producer, and Found Festival’s 2022-2023 Fresh AiR Artist Steven Sobolewski. This process-based intensive will be an opportunity for folks to nurture a new ideas and receive feedback through consent-based feedback processes.
🧐 IS THIS WORKSHOP FOR ME? 🧐
We sincerely hope so!
- 🌷 Maybe you’re an actor/comedian/designer/dancer/musician/filmmaker/artist, interested in creating work that showcases you as an actor and/or story-teller
- 🌷Maybe you’re eager to make work that reflects your lived experience
- 🌷Maybe you’re a playwright or storyteller who wants to create a solo show for someone else to perform
- 🌷Maybe you’ve been making theatre for years, and want to try something new
- 🌷Maybe you need an excuse to carve out some time to bring your dream project to fruition
- 🌷Maybe you’ve got something in the archives you want to unearth and dig back into
- 🌷Maybe you want to explore a daily creative practice in a way that prioritizes self-reflection + fun
Whatever your motivation, this intensive will be an opportunity to explore with the support of experienced artists and theatre makers.
COST: $950 + GST. (The bulk of this will go towards craft materials, as well as paying Elena and Steven, as well as our videographer and photographer a living wage. We’re happy to provide letter of confirmation and support to granting bodies, if you’re interested in applying to help cover this cost).
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: In order to ensure each individual and project gets the attention it deserves, space for this workshop is extremely limited. If you’re interested in registering, fill out the following Google Form (https://forms.gle/7o77mgQQnvUs7MJM8) so we can hear a bit about who you are. Once we’ve learned everything we need to know, we’ll send along more info about how to submit your $150 deposit (your spot will not be secured until we receive this deposit!).
DEADLINE TO APPLY: May 1, 2023
To find out more, head to tinybearjaws.com!