Direct, choreograph, or music direct James and the Giant Peach Jr. with StoryBook Theatre’s Summer Spotlight programs!
StoryBook Theatre is currently seeking Musical Theatre Teachers for our Summer Theatre School Programming. We are looking for a Director/Acting Coach, a Choreographer/Dance Coach, and a Music Director/Voice Coach to instruct students ages 9-16 in our 3-week long musical theatre camps. Instructors will be responsible for guiding students through the audition, rehearsal, and performance process as they prepare for a final performance of James and the Giant Peach Jr. at the end of the session.
StoryBook believes that inclusivity and diversity are integral to the stories we tell both on and off our stage and seek to create an environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best work. We encourage people of all ages, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, and ethnicity to apply for this position.
This position is being made possible through a Canada Summer Jobs Grant and therefore we are seeking students aged 18 to 30 for this role. We are not limited by this, but stronger consideration will be made for those candidates that meet this age criteria for this grant.
Instructors will be accountable to the Theatre School Coordinator and will work closely with Teaching Assistants. Duties include:
- Teach children appropriate lesson content for their age and skill level
- Create lesson plans incorporating a given curriculum. Depending on the course, curriculum may include improvisation, audition techniques, storytelling, voice, choreography, or other areas of skill. Instructors will direct the actors in a final presentation at the end of each session after leading them through the creation process.
- Classroom management including working with the teaching assistant(s) to maintain classroom focus and manners
- Other duties as required
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidates would possess many, if not all, of the qualifications listed below. StoryBook is a learning environment and is looking for a candidate willing to grow into the role with a base understanding of its demands and skills required.
- Minimum of two years of relevant university education, or equivalent professional experience
- Strong instructional and classroom management skills
- High level of personal organization and planning
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Must work well in a team setting
- Basic First Aid is an asset
- Ultimately StoryBook is seeking a person who fits in with the organizational mandate and is keen and passionate about the work we do.
This is a seasonal contract position. Instructors must be available Mondays to Fridays, 8:30am to 4:30pm from July 4 to August 11, 2023.
Minimum contract is six weeks at an hourly rate of $20/hr.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE – MONDAY, FEBRUARY 13, 2023
For more information and to apply, please visit https://www.storybooktheatre.org/job-postings
Any questions about this posting can be directed to the Theatre School Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those advancing in the process will be contacted.