From Cradle to Stage Festival
This year Walterdale’s From Cradle To Stage Festival of new work includes staged readings of 13 new scripts by local writers, between 10 minutes and 60 minutes in length. We are seeking to include a wide range of ages, cultural backgrounds, and genders in our reading team. Some of the readings have already been cast. We are looking for readers for these nine scripts:
- And They All Fall Down, by Bridgette Boyko (2F)
- Battle Armour, by Bridgette Boyko (3F, 1M)
- The Last Planet Standing, by Hebert Poll Gutierrez (10+)
- 1-91, by Galen Hite (1M, 1F)
- Forgive Me, by Jacqueline Lamb (1F)
- Book Club 2021, by Louise Mallory (1M, 1F, 1F or NB)
- Conjuring Women, the Musical, by Ariel Mitchell Williams (book and lyrics) John Trent Wallace (music), and Ariann Black (concept) (1 baritone, 2 soprano, 4
- mezzo soprano, 2 alto, OR 9 non-singers)
- Come Again Another Day, by Logan Sundquist (3)
- Of The Meadow, by Kayla Turnbull (1M, 2F)
Readers will not be expected to memorize, but should attend scheduled rehearsals and become familiar with their script.
How to submit:
Prepare a short video clip of yourself reading something, 1-2 minutes in length. It could be a monologue, an excerpt from a play, or a piece of fiction or poetry. Introduce yourself at the start of the video. Do not worry about background, lighting, makeup, or other production details – just give the directors a chance to hear you read.
If you are interested in singing in the musical Conjuring Women, please also send a separate video of you singing. Email the video to firstname.lastname@example.org, before 4 pm on Friday February 10th.
Also complete a submission form (contact info, relevant experience, availability) which we will send you on request or when we get your video.
Directors will contact readers after that to offer them roles or ask more questions. The production team will follow up with everyone who submits, within a week of the submission deadline.
- Each script will have one zoom rehearsal, Feb 15, Feb 19, or another time during that week.
- You will then have one or two in-person rehearsals at Walterdale Theatre in Edmonton, Feb 22, Feb 26, and/or another date in late February or early March.
- You will need to attend one tech rehearsal at Walterdale, Mar 3, 4, or 5, as assigned.
- You will attend one performance, which will be scheduled at 8 pm on Mar 9, 10, or 11, or at 2 pm on Mar 12th.
- You may perform in more than one reading if you are selected and you can make both time commitments work.
- Rehearsals will be scheduled based on the availability information provided by readers before casts are selected. Once you tell us which dates you are available, please reserve those dates until rehearsal schedules are provided.
- Casting for the staged readings will not be restricted to any ages and genders indicated by the playwrights. Rehearsal and performance spaces used for this festival are accessible to mobility-impaired artists.
Walterdale Theatre Associates is a volunteer/member organization. We cannot engage Equity performers.
Walterdale Theatre is a community theatre and is committed to inclusivity. Walterdale encourages artists who self-identify as members of under-represented communities to participate.