Character Interpreter (Seasonal)
Heritage Park has an opening for Character Interpreter. Under the direction of the Artistic Production Coordinator, working in a team with other character interpreters, presents historically based vignettes through a variety of theatrical forms portraying pre-1914 Western Canada. Character Interpreters also provide between-scene interactions and improvisations with guests, with the goal of creating an immersive guest experience.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Presents scripted and improvised historically inspired scenes for visitors to Heritage Park. Each performer will be cast in at least one of three productions including two “street scene” days (stories presented outdoors in 4 scenes, repeated twice daily) and a musical melodrama in the Canmore Opera House.
- Improvises in character between scenes to advance storylines while engaging and enlightening guests.
- Assist with other interpretive and educational programming as required.
- Conducts additional research to support the characters portrayed.
- Provides general cleaning and housekeeping of the green room and back-of-house performance spaces.
- Other duties as required.
Education & Experience:
- Post-secondary drama training and some previous acting experience (equivalences will be considered).
- Proven performance skills in acting, excellent verbal communication and public relations skills, and the ability to imaginatively develop and physically project a character; and
- Familiarity with historical interpretation is considered an asset.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Excellent verbal communication and public performance skills
- Well organized, flexible, adaptable with an ability to react and remain in-character
- Knowledge of western Canadian history, language and deportment of the Edwardian-era is an asset
- Ability to creatively collaborate with others
Special Clothing and Equipment:
This position will be required to wear appropriate costuming provided by Heritage Park. The Costume Policy must be adhered to at all times.
Special Working Conditions:
The employee may be required to stand for long periods or walk long distances. As this is essentially an outdoor position, exposure to weather extremes can be expected.
- Rehearsals are mandatory for all Character Interpreters from April 12, 2023 to May 19, 2023.
- Performances run from May 20, 2023 to September 4, 2023 (9:30am to 5:00pm).
- The work week is 35 hours with two consecutive days off. Park time positions are available.
- There is an option for performers to continue performing weekends from September 4 to October 9, 2023.
Auditions will be held in late February 2023. Deadline to apply is February 24th, 2023. Selected candidates will have to perform a prepared monologue, a short song and a cold read.
Full details will be sent to candidates selected to audition.
Submit your cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com or mail to 1900 Heritage Drive SW, Calgary, AB T2V 2X3 or fax (403) 268-8554.
Heritage Park is committed to diverse, inclusive casting. There will be a focus on casting a few roles of Asian decent. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those considered for an audition will be contacted directly.