Kelly Robinson, Director of Creative Development at Mirvish Productions and Keith Barker, Director of New Play Development at Stratford Festival are confirmed to headline The Great Canadian Playwright Showcase (TGCPS). It is also confirmed that both will be in attendance for the entire duration of the event in Grande Prairie, Alberta, from May 9 to 12, 2023.
Robinson and Barker will be leading the Feature Roundtable Discussion on Thursday May 11th. TGCPS 2023 brings a fresh twist to this classic conference event in its inaugural year. A rotating set of panelists with a wide range of perspectives will tackle three main topics:
- The process of getting a script to stage
- Elements of scripts and productions that appeal to different audiences
- Strategies for normalising theatre in our communities beyond the theatre itself
This is an exciting and unique opportunity for Canadian playwrights to showcase their work directly to Robinson, Barker, and many other nation-wide decision-makers from commercial, community, and institutional theatres and production companies. The same goes for the lucky actors who are chosen to perform the best ten-minute scenes from each script. In fact, all emerging and mid-career cast and crew will have ample opportunity to sit at the same dinner table and rub elbows with established amateurs, instructors and professionals.
Registration for the event is now open, check TGCPS.ca for details and the latest confirmations. The Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton in Grande Prairie has exceptionally low rates for delegates. A shared room is as low as $80 per person, and includes a hot breakfast every morning. Grande Prairie’s airport has several flights in and out of Calgary and Edmonton every day, and the shuttle service takes guests to the hotel in minutes.
Registration packages include:
- Delegate Survival Kit
- Accreditation and conference ID
- Conference Pocket Guide with schedules and maps
- Listing in the digital and printed TGCPS 2023 programs
- Access to all the main events at TGCPS, including the Thursday Night Theatre Party
- Invitations to private tastings, classes, and workshops
- Most meals (in conjunction with a reservation at The Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton in Grande Prairie)
- An array of gifts
- Playwright package includes 1 Showcase spot
Association, guild, and union members are eligible for significant discounts.
- Alberta Playwrights’ Network members use code APNTGCPS2023
- Canadian Actors’ Equity Union (CAEA) members use code CAEATGCPS2023
- Playwrights’ Guild of Canada (PGC) members use code PGCTGCPS2023