Audition Notice – Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
Performance dates: June 16-24, 2023
Performance Venue: Westbury Theatre
Audition Dates: February 9, 10 6:30pm, Callbacks February 15th 7pm
Audition Venue: The Playhouse, 10033 80 Avenue, Edmonton, AB
ELOPE Musical Theatre presents Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
Music by Andrew Lloyd Webber
Lyrics by Tim Rice
Directed by: Jon Shields
Musical Director: Rachel Haverstock
Choreography: Amélia Boutin
“Sha la la, Joseph, you’re doing fine! You and your dreamcoat, ahead of your time!” One of the most enduring shows of all time, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat is a reimagining of the Biblical story of Joseph, his father Jacob, eleven brothers and the coat of many colors.
Told entirely through song with the help of a main character Narrator, the musical follows preferred son Joseph. After being sold into slavery by his brothers, he ingratiates himself with Egyptian noble Potiphar, but ends up in jail after refusing the amorous advances of Potiphar’s wife. While imprisoned, Joseph discovers his ability to interpret dreams, and he soon finds himself in front of the mighty but troubled, Elvis-inspired, Pharaoh. Joseph’s solution to Egypt’s famine elevates him to Pharaoh’s right-hand man and reunites him with his family.
The magical musical is full of catchy songs in a variety of styles, from a parody of French ballads (“Those Canaan Days”), to country-western (“One More Angel in Heaven”) and calypso (“Benjamin Calypso”), along with the unforgettable classics “Any Dream Will Do” and “Close Every Door.”
- Please prepare a musical theatre piece that shows compelling storytelling and character.
- If you have questions about the suitability of a selection, please contact us in advance.
- If you wish to sing to an accompaniment track (no vocals), please provide your own playback device. We recommend you download your selection in advance, to avoid any WIFI concerns. If you wish to use sheet music with an accompanist, please EMAIL IT IN ADVANCE to firstname.lastname@example.org at least one week in advance. Please bring sheet music (in the key you are singing) for our accompanist.
- We welcome youth auditionees ages 10-14, and adult auditionees of all ethnicities and diverse backgrounds. ELOPE is a volunteer organization, and we cannot engage Equity performers.
- Please bring paper theatre resume and headshot (does not have to be professional, we just want to remember your face!)
- Choir (Men & Women)
- Children’s Chorus (Boys & Girls)
- Jacob, Joseph’s Father
- Joseph’s Brothers:
- Mrs. Potiphar
- Narrator—Soprano (or Tenor if played by male)
- Brothers—Mixed male ranges
- Mrs. Potiphar—Alto/Mezzo
- Choir Girls—Sopranos (to High C)
- Choir Boys—Mixed male ranges (Low A to High A, Basses down to E)
Link to sign up will be posted to our social media, website and newsletter on Wednesday January 25. Or email email@example.com for more info.