WALTERDALE’S 65th SEASON – CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Do you have an idea for a great show for Walterdale Theatre Associates to produce that you have always wanted to direct? Now is the time to submit for the 2023-2024 season!
Walterdale Theatre Associates supports theatre artists at all ages & stages of their practice. We encourage applications from both emerging and seasoned directors.
What kinds of shows are we looking for?
Walterdale is looking to curate a season with relevant and enticing storytelling that will collectively entertain, inspire, and challenge our diverse and engaged membership and audiences. Walterdale continues to give special consideration to applications from BIPOC directors or stories from underrepresented voices.
Possible options to consider (but not limited to):
- Canadian works
- Culturally-diverse works that represent the complexity of global populations and/or perspectives
- Plays with good roles for all gender representations (with a variety of ages)
- Dramas, comedies, classics, thrillers, musicals, etc.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit the following materials:
- A copy of the script (If you submit the original script, it will be returned to you – photocopies will not be).
- A copy of your theatre résumé highlighting your directorial experience both with Walterdale & in other theatrical settings.
- A Directorial Proposal (your concept) – including the following:
- Why would this be a good show for Walterdale to produce?
- Casting requirements (Note: this must not include casting considerations. All casts for Walterdale productions must be selected from auditions).
- What Production Team (if any) you would bring with you into the project. Production team members are not required at the time of submission and can be recruited at a later date with assistance from other Walterdale members.
- Any information that might affect the budget (e.g. Chorus size for a musical or size of ensemble in a straight play, desire for period dress, rental of special equipment).
- Recent Production history of your proposed play(s) within the Edmonton area. Please provide information including most recent production(s) in the Edmonton area noting year of production & the company that produced the piece.
- A brief statement on your plan to promote inclusivity and safety within your directorial role (e.g. through casting, ensemble work, crew selection, etc.)
Applying directors are permitted to submit a maximum of 2 pieces for consideration for the season. If new to directing, please contact email@example.com to find out how to become an Assistant Director or to receive assistance on the application process.
Digital Submissions (preferred) should be sent to:
Artistic Director – firstname.lastname@example.org
If necessary, hard copies with the same requirements can be sent to:
Walterdale Theatre Associates
10322 – 83rd Avenue NW
Edmonton, Alberta T6E 5C3
Submissions must be received by February 10, 2023. Early submissions appreciated; late submissions will not be considered.