Call for Visual Arts Submissions: The Quenten Doolittle Memorial Gallery
Submissions are now open for
The Quenten Doolittle Memorial Gallery Exhibit: Beautiful Creatures
January 26th – March 25th, 2023
The Pumphouse Theatre is a vibrant facility with historical significance. It supports and presents all art forms and creates opportunities for engagement, enrichment, cultural experience, learning and inspiration, while serving all Calgarians. To enable this, the Quenten Doolittle Memorial Gallery provides accessible wall display space for Mohkinstsis (Calgary) and Alberta visual artists to display and sell their work, free from commission.
For this exhibit, we are looking for work that reflects the theme of beautiful creatures – from humans to animals both real and imaginary, and beyond. Submissions of any style, from realistic to abstract, and in any visual art medium will be considered, provided it meets all gallery requirements below.
The Pumphouse Theatre supports an inclusive and diverse community. We encourage any submissions of eligible visual artists from all communities including but not limited to the LGBTQ2+, BIPOC, and those with disabilities.
Submissions must meet the following requirements:
- Artist must reside in Calgary and must be available for installation dates provided.
- Artwork must be delivered ready to hang (wall-space only)
Installation Requirements: All art MUST be equipped with picture hanging wire and D rings (a piece of metal hardware shaped like the letter D used on the back of frame or canvas as hooking device). Hanging cleats or flat metal hardware unfortunately will not be accepted.
This gallery is intended to be available for in person and online viewing. Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19 pandemic, there is the possibility of this exhibit being online exclusively. All installation required are still necessary for this exhibit.
In the event of an in-person gallery, The Pumphouse Theatre will install the work on behalf of the artists. Artwork may be dropped off or picked up by either the artist or a representative during the hours of 12pm and 6pm on the installation and take down dates provided. Artist must reserve an installation and take down date via a provided form or by contacting the Programming Director.
- Submission Deadline: December 30th, 4pm
- All artists who submit will be notified with a decision no later than 2-2 1/2 weeks after the deadline has passed.
- Installation: January 22nd – January 24th, 2023
- Exhibition Dates: January 26th – March 25th, 2023
- Take Down: March 26th – March 29th, 2023
To apply, please send the following information via email or mail:
- Completed Gallery Submission Form
- Artist Biography (250 words max)
- A short description of who you are and your art background, training, passion, and/or any combination of the fore mentioned information
- Artwork: A minimum of 1 to a maximum of 5 pieces will be accepted
- Images of artwork only; do not send original works with application
Applications or queries can be sent to:
email@example.com 403-263-0079 ext. 100
Selection Process: Art pieces are selected by a committee of no less than 3 people and are a mix of artists and administrators. Selection criteria is based on: suitability to the theme, technique, emotional response, creativity & innovation, and suitability for the Pumphouse Theatre gallery space and its patrons (ages 8-80 representing various socio-economic and cultural backgrounds). Unfortunately, we are unable to accept works that feature nudity.
Any artists who need assistance with their application, or have inquires and questions, are welcome to contact the Pumphouse Theatre, at any point.
Full submission applications can be found on the Pumphouse Theatre website – www.pumphousetheatre.ca