ADFA is excited to announce the 2023 Edmonton Region Adult One Act Play Festival which will take place April 14th – 15th, 2023, at WWTP’s Gateway Theatre, 8529 Gateway Blvd. We will be following every precaution recommended by AHS in effect at the time of the festival to limit our chances of spreading COVID-19.
This year we are accepting 9 submissions. We will have 3 sessions with 3 one acts per session depending on the running time of each. Festival placing will be on a first come-first serve basis. If we receive more than nine submissions, they will go onto a waiting list as they are received. If you choose to submit more than one production, please indicate which one is your first choice, as we are committed to giving this performance opportunity to as many different groups as possible, which means if we receive more than 9 different applications from 9 different groups, your first choice will be the one presented.
- A completed registration form (found here: https://wkf.ms/3BNe73I) should be completed and submitted no later than January 8th, 2023.
- Each performing group will pay a non-refundable fee of $25, which will make them a member of ADFA. In addition, the Edmonton Region charges $25 for entry into the Regional Festival. A total fee of $50 needs to be sent via e-transfer to email@example.com or mailed as cash or cheque by January 8th, 2023 to our Registration Coordinator.
- Cheques can be made out to Edmonton Region One Act Play Festival
- Receipt of the fee confirms your place in the Festival
- Entries shall be one-act plays. No adaptations or excerpts will be accepted.
- All plays must have a running time of at least ten (10) minutes and not more than sixty (60) minutes in length.
- Each show must be set up in 10 minutes and struck in 5 minutes.
- This year we are not allowing any double or cross over casting. This means each person you cast is only allowed to be a part of one show.
- Casts should be predominantly adult and from the Edmonton area.
- If submitting an established work, the performing group is responsible for royalty payments. A letter confirming permission from the publisher or playwright must be included with your application
- Each group is responsible for having a stage manager to call cues and technical director to help with sound and lighting design. We will be providing one technician at the venue.
- Any full member of a professional Performing Arts union is prevented from participating in ADFA sponsored one-act play festivals.
- Cast and production team information should be submitted as soon as possible, but no later than March 19th, 2023
Please note that the committee will endeavour to accommodate performance requests, but strongly suggests that performers be available for any of the 3 potential performance slots (Friday evening/Saturday matinee/ Saturday evening). Once the performance schedule is set it is very difficult to move shows.
All performances and participants must adhere to the ADFA Rules and Guidelines. More information can be found on the ADFA website: https://www.adfa.ca/rules-and-regulations
Awards are presented for Outstanding Production, Outstanding Director, Outstanding Performances, Outstanding Technical Merit, and Outstanding New Work!
The play that wins Outstanding Production – chosen by a professional adjudicator – will represent Edmonton at the Provincial One-Act Festival held May 26-27, 2023 in Lethbridge. Winning plays from each region will receive funding from the Alberta Drama Festival Association to help cover travel expenses, hotel expenses, and a per diem each day of the festival to assist in their participation in the Provincial Festival.
All registrations must be submitted by Sunday, January 8th, 2023 at midnight.
If you have any questions call Cassie, our registration coordinator, (c) 780-278-2830 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org