Position: Resident Technician
Position type: Permanent, full time (35 hours/week + overtime)
Compensation: $42,000 + commensurate benefits
Anticipated start date: as soon as possible
The Resident Technician collaborates with Fringe’s Production and Events Teams to ensure the smooth and professional technical execution of company and client events hosted at the Fringe Theatre Arts Barns. This position is directly supported by Fringe’s Technical Director and Operations Director and collaborates cross-departmentally with Fringe’s greater Administrative Team.
Is it you we’re looking for?
You’re a technical wizard who has experience working in a busy, multi-theatre venue. You have excellent communication skills and are passionate about supporting artists and clients in achieving their production and event goals. You believe in radical hospitality and treat everyone with care and respect. You thrive in a busy, creative environment and relish a workplace where no two days are the same. You love a good challenge and are awesome at meeting deadlines. You are a creative problem solver who enthusiastically works with your teammates to find the best possible solution. You’re a “yes, and” collaborator who brings an open and positive energy to everything you do. You’re not shy about taking initiative and can work independently.
The Resident Technician is a full-time position within Fringe Theatre Adventures’ (FTA) Operations Department, overseeing the technical set up and running of company and client events hosted at the Fringe Theatre Arts Barns.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Liaise with the Operations Director, Technical Director, and Events Team to establish the needs of each event hosted at the facility;
- Attend production meetings with clients/internal Events Team as needed;
- Set up various seating and stage configurations;
- Set up lighting and sound equipment;
- Operate lighting and sound consoles;
- Rig scenery;
- Assist with set installations on stage;
- Sweep and mop performance area floor;
- Supervise client and technical staff activities within the facility;
- Liaise with the Front of House staff and coordinate opening and closing of the House;
- Assist Front of House and Security to secure the building at the end of events;
- Implement emergency procedures if/when necessary;
- Help with the assessment and general up-keep of all production areas and its equipment in the facility, including maintenance of scene shop and warehouse;
- Maintain theatrical equipment; and
- Maintain all architectural lighting within the facility.
- Assessment of event information and coordinating equipment and staff;
- Ordering technical supplies and coordinating rental equipment;
- Maintaining accurate files and reports related to Operations;
- Supervising client and technical staff activities within the facility; and
- Building tours for clients as needed.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to Chris Kavanagh, Operations Director, at email@example.com by Friday, September 30, 2022.
Please note: preference will be given to those candidates with strong lighting skills and experience. If you have the drive but not the years’ experience, still throw your hat in the ring. We want to work with someone who wants to learn. We thank everyone who applies, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
At Fringe Theatre, we foster artists. We nurture audiences. We take chances. Fringe Theatre cultivates safer spaces for brave ideas and big artistic risk.
Since its very beginning, Fringe Theatre has been the meeting place where experience, perspective, diversity, and passion are explored, uplifted, and celebrated. Representation onstage, backstage, in the Front of House and Box Office, in our administrative spaces, and in our mentorship and training programs matters. The future of theatre in Treaty 6 is equitable, diverse, inclusive, and accessible. We believe representation within our organization will lead to greater equity, diversity, inclusivity, and accessibility in our community.
We are a collaborative, playful, creative, flexible, hard-working team where big ideas and out-of-the-box approaches are encouraged. We know you have a big, beautiful, busy life outside of Fringe, and we will do everything in our power to honour your humanness beyond the great work you do with us.
Our base of operations is the Fringe Theatre Arts Barns in Edmonton, AB (10330 84 Avenue). Our hours of business are typically 9am – 5pm Monday – Friday, though as a busy cultural space supporting more than 500 events year-round and as the producers of the largest, longest running Fringe Theatre Festival in North America, there is an expectation that staff are reasonably available evenings and weekends based on season and Festival event activity.
Employees are expected to uphold and champion Fringe’s Safer Spaces and Anti-Racism programs and abide by our Code of Conduct.
We believe in care and kindness above all else – we’re all in this together. Fringe Theatre is a mask-friendly work environment where personal choice is supported. We will continue to adapt mitigations as the COVID-19 pandemic evolves.