The Writers’ Guild of Alberta is looking for an individual with strong programming, communication and administrative skills for the part-time position of Program Coordinator for the Southern Alberta WGA Office.
This individual will be responsible for the coordination, implementation and delivery of approved WGA events, services, and programs, along with outreach and partnership work as required. This position will assist in the development of additional programs and services to meet the needs of the membership as strategic plans and initiatives evolve.
The successful candidate will possess strong programming skills. They will be a strategic and creative planner with experience coordinating and managing conferences and/or festivals, planning and hosting events, office administration, public relations, promotions and grant writing.
The ability to work independently is essential to this position. Current knowledge and understanding of the literary community in Alberta/Canada is a significant asset. Familiarity with non-profit arts budgeting and office practices are desirable.
The WGA believes in supporting diversity and equity in hiring best practices. We support actions to advance diversity and equity in the organization.
Design and deliver programs and services in keeping with the mission and strategic plan of the Writers’ Guild of Alberta. Work to ensure the relevance of the WGA’s program and services to members, and to maintain the visibility and public profile of the organization.
Reports To: Executive Director
Start Date: October 2022
Hours: 21-hour week. Periodic evening and weekend hours are required.
Salary: $24,000 – $26,000 starting salary
Office Location: Community Wise Office at #204, 223 12th Ave SW, Calgary. Flexibility with office and remote work is available.
Please send resumé and cover letter to email@example.com by October 3, 2022.
- Implement, deliver, and monitor approved member programs and services in Calgary and southern Alberta region, in-person and online as appropriate to community needs. This includes a minimum of ten monthly member events, and annual events to showcase the finalists of the Alberta Literary Awards and The City of Calgary W.O. Mitchell Book Prize.
- Collaborate with Edmonton WGA staff to coordinate the annual AGM and conference, including program planning, administration, and venue contact.
- Research, design, and deliver new programs and services in keeping with the mission and strategic plan of the WGA and in consultation with the executive director.
- Respond to requests from members and organizations in the southern region of the province, refer as appropriate.
- Work collaboratively with other writing and literary organizations in Calgary and region.
- Participate on committee and boards and act as a WGA representative as delegated, such as the Frontier College Giller Light Bash (YYC) planning committee.
- Devote time every week to outreach. When generating ideas for topics and speakers for events, consider the WGA’s desire to amplify diverse voices.
- Coordinate volunteers as necessary for events, workshops or conference sessions that need support.
- Provide promotional copy for programs and events to head office.
- Attend bi-weekly staff meetings (virtual) and provide regular communication to the executive director about programs and activities.
- Attend or be involved with additional/evolving community events as required.