THE 39 STEPS – PHOTO/RESUME SUBMISSION
Non-Equity actors (or Equity + UofA Alumni) for roles in THE 39 STEPS (see breakdown). Seeking performers of all races, ethnicities, gender identities, body types and abilities.
Please send headshot and resume for consideration. Subject of email should be “The 39 Steps/Role of __________” (and list the role you are submitting for)
Deadline: Friday, Sep 23, 2022
Producer: The University of Alberta Department of Drama
Director: Ben Smith
Set and Lights: Ian McClellan
Costumes: Ankita Yadav
Sound: Shella Apostol
Adaptation by: Patrick Barlow
- Audition Date(s): Those chosen for an audition will be contacted by Sept 25, 2022
- Rehearsal Date(s): October 15 – November 24, 2022
- Opening Date(s): November 24, 2022
- Closing Date(s): November 26, 2022
DIRECTOR’S NOTE: In this production of The 39 Steps, we are looking to bridge hitchcockian homage, theatrical python-esque madcap and rigorous invention into a story of mystery, perseverance and partnership. Barlow’s telling moves at breakneck speed- yet we will not forsake the beating heart at the centre of the thriller: that regular people, in crises, together, are capable of saving the world. In this production, we are looking at undermining dusty, especially “femme,” tropes, rather than “falling victim” to them. The given circumstances embrace the mysterious and obscene, requiring a company that isn’t afraid to risk and play hard, embrace the ridiculous and unusual, and listen together beautifully. As collaborators, we are building a new path to The 39 Steps, while never losing a hilarious theatricality or emotionally resonant core.
- [CLOWNS] Any age. They/them, he/him, she/her. Any gender, race, or ethnicity. Non-Binary actors strongly encouraged to submit. Vivacious, debonair, and with substantial authority, the clowns expertly execute 100+ roles with olympian prowess and skillful comedic timing. Actors shouldn’t feel tied to one track as implied by more “traditional” casting, nor to gender identity of any of the clown roles. Versatility with European accents is a plus. Must be able to lift certain set pieces, and move adroitly throughout stage and between roles.
- [PAMELA/ANNABELLA SCHMIDT/MARGARET] 20’s – 50’s. She/her or they/them – non-binary/trans/gnc/femme presenting/female. Female identifying character. Any race or ethnicity. One half of the leading duo who possesses physical, emotional and comedic prowess. Actor will play all three roles below, with the possibility of stepping into a clown role or two.
- Annabella: a brilliant but marked Russian woman who is on the run from spies and killed at their hand. Russian accent preferred.
- Pamela: a quintessential Hitchcock-esqe leading lady. She is bold, emotionally and intellectually intelligent, powerful, and fashionable. English accent required.
- Margaret: a small town farm worker married off to a cruel man; she is eager to see the world, to help Richard out when he stumbles upon her farm, and is willing to risk the consequences from her abusive husband in following her heart and gut. Scottish accent required.
- [RICHARD HANNAY] 20’s – 50’s. He/him or they/them – gnc/non-binary/male presenting/male. Male identifying character. Any race or ethnicity. One half of the leading duo of the leading duo who possesses the Hitchcock-esque suave, dashing, debonaire qualities. He is an artistic soul, a rebel, and an everyman capable of unlocking a secret heart filled with will and determination, cunning and vulnerability. Actor must be an adept physical comedian, a great listener and responder, and ensemble member.