Job Title: Event Liaison – Taylor Centre for the Performing Arts (Bella Concert Hall)
Requisition #: X00001.184
Job Type: Part-Time (14 hours per week on average)
Start/End Date: When a suitable candidate is found
Location: MRU Main Campus – Calgary, AB T3E 6K6 CA
Founded in 1910 and located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Mount Royal University grew into a vibrant college in the 1930s and became a mid-sized university in 2009. Mount Royal has carved out a distinct niche by offering smaller class sizes, a robust liberal education and unique undergraduate programs. Currently, more than 15,000 credit students choose from 14 bachelor degrees and 40 majors.
Mount Royal University is located in the traditional territories of the Niitsitapi (Blackfoot) and the people of the Treaty 7 region in southern Alberta, which includes the Siksika, the Piikani, the Kainai, the Tsuut’ina and the Iyarhe Nakoda. We are situated on land where the Bow River meets the Elbow River. The traditional Blackfoot name of this place is “Mohkinstsis,” which we now call the city of Calgary. The city of Calgary is also home to the Métis Nation.
Mount Royal University is committed to removing barriers and fostering the inclusion of voices that have been historically underrepresented or discouraged in our society. In support of our belief that diversity in our faculty and staff enriches the work, learning and research experiences for the entire campus community, we strongly encourage members of the designated groups (women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and diverse sexual orientation and gender identities) to apply and self-identify.
About the Department of Event, Theatre & Hospitality Services
Event, Theatre & Hospitality Services (ETHS) is a division of the Finance and Commercial Operations area of Mount Royal University (MRU). ETHS encompasses both the Theatre and Conference service operations of MRU and is responsible for booking and executing exceptional quality events in MRU’s performance venues (Taylor Centre for the Performing Arts, Ross Glen Hall, Wright Theatre, Leacock Theatre, Nickle Theatre, and associated classroom and event spaces). ETHS is home of the Taylor Centre for the Performing Arts it’s Concert Season, and Bella Live from your Couch virtual presentation seasons as well as being considered one of the top 5 roadhouse venue operators in Calgary.
About the Role
Our Event Liaisons lead the Front of House (FOH) team and are responsible for the smooth operation of the venue floor during events at the Taylor Centre for the Performing Arts and various other campus venues of significance including Ross Glen Hall and the Wright & Leacock Theatres. The Event Liaison is responsible for the FOH staff (ushers, head ushers, box office) being present for their shifts and for signing staff in and out. Our Event Liaisons are the conduit between our venues and the overall event experience. The Event Liaison will have a keen focus on an exceptional patron, presenter and artist experience. Event Liaisons report to the Manager through show reports and at the end of each shift.
- Responsible for the smooth operation of the floor and supervision of the FOH team during events
- Signing FOH staff in & out and ensuring that there are no appearance or tardiness issues
- Main conduit between our venues and the overall event experience
- Interacting with the patrons, presenter or artist as required for their specific needs during a performance or event
- Coordinating with the Back of House (BOH) – technical staff on the loading of the house at the top of an event, event intervals and following an event
- Coordination as required with MRU departments such as parking and security services
- Minimum of two years’ experience in the entertainment or hospitality industry managing FOH related activities
- Experience should be from a reputable establishment of similar size (500+ patrons per service)
- Strong customer service and communication skills
- Ability to problem solve and troubleshoot solutions with clients and guests as needed
- Operational knowledge of audio/visual equipment
- Strong knowledge in computer usage and applications in Microsoft and Google applications
- ProServe certification required (can be acquired upon hiring)
- Basic First Aid (can be acquired upon hiring)
- Flexible work hours which will include day or evening shifts during the week and or the weekend
- Grade 12 or equivalent
- Must be 18 years of age or older
Apply Here: mtroyalca.hua.hrsmart.com/ats/view_requisition.php?requisition_id=1967&referrer=%2Fats%2Fmanage_requisition.php