Founded in 1910 and located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Mount Royal University grew into a vibrant college in the 1930s and became a mid-sized university in 2009. Mount Royal has carved out a distinct niche by offering smaller class sizes, a robust liberal education and unique undergraduate programs. Currently, more than 15,000 credit students choose from 14 bachelor degrees and 40 majors.
Mount Royal University is located in the traditional territories of the Niitsitapi (Blackfoot) and the people of the Treaty 7 region in southern Alberta, which includes the Siksika, the Piikani, the Kainai, the Tsuut’ina and the Iyarhe Nakoda. We are situated on land where the Bow River meets the Elbow River. The traditional Blackfoot name of this place is “Mohkinstsis,” which we now call the city of Calgary. The city of Calgary is also home to the Métis Nation.
Mount Royal University is committed to removing barriers and fostering the inclusion of voices that have been historically underrepresented or discouraged in our society. In support of our belief that diversity in our faculty and staff enriches the work, learning and research experiences for the entire campus community, we strongly encourage members of the designated groups (women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and diverse sexual orientation and gender identities) to apply and self-identify.
About the Department of Event, Theatre, & Hospitality Services
Event, Theatre, and Hospitality Services (ETHS) is a division of the Finance and Commercial Operations area of Mount Royal University (MRU). ETHS encompasses the Theatre, Conference, and Hospitality service operations of MRU and is responsible for booking and executing exceptional quality events in MRU’s performance venues (Taylor Centre for the Performing Arts, Ross Glen Hall, Wright Theatre, Leacock Theatre, Nickle Theatre, and associated classroom and event spaces). ETHS is home of the Taylor Centre for the Performing Arts, it’s Concert Season, and Bella Live from your Couch virtual presentation seasons as well as being considered one of the top 5 roadhouse venue operators in Calgary.
About the Role
The Bar and Concession Coordinator (BCC) (X00001.182) is an integral part of the Event, Theatre, and Hospitality Services team at MRU. The BCC will provide bar and concession administrative support, ordering/receiving, inventorying, setup and operation as well as team leadership and oversight for all services with a focus on patron experience. Typical service locations include the Bella Concert Hall, Wright and Leacock Theatres, Ross Glen Hall, Transalta Pavilion, Riddell Library and Learning Centre, Lincoln Park Campus, Cougars Athletics Concourse, the EA, and EB buildings as well as other MRU Spaces on a case by case basis.
- Coordinating and overseeing all bar department activities
- Ensuring all bar equipment is set up properly, fully functional and working adequately
- Facilitating daily operations of all bars and concessions, such as ensuring the current liquor licence, food licence and business licences are up to date, maintaining regular contact with suppliers, taking inventory and reordering supplies
- Supervising and guiding bartenders in cooperation with an Event Liaison for events and performances
- Working with the bartending team to provide clients and customers with the highest level of service
- Inspecting and maintaining the payment processing system, inventory system and all bar equipment
- Ordering, receiving and stocking all bar products, while ensuring adequate product rotation to realise maximum product freshness and inventory utilisation
- Maintaining a comprehensive inventory of all bar supplies and products
- Ensuring that pre service counts match end of day inventories and receipts
- Attending area meetings with the Event and Theatre Services team as well as scheduling and production meetings
- Working with the DETHS to establish service levels, product offerings, and operational protocols
- Preparing remote bar equipment for service in various locations on MRU campus
- Working on the floor during bar and concession services in a leadership and service role as business levels demand
- Ensuring the safety and security of the bar equipment
- Assisting bartenders and an Event Liaison when required
- Ensuring all work is being carried out in a safe manner in accordance with MRU safety policies
- Reporting any injuries or damage to the DETHS
- Ensuring all communications are efficient and contributing to the effectiveness of the team
- Abiding by all University rules and regulations
- Other duties as assigned by the DETHS
- Ensuring that staff certifications are current and up to date including PROSERVE, WHIMIS, and First Aid (where applicable)
- A minimum of 1 years experience as a Bartender or other related hospitality industry position (such as server)
- Previous experience in roles such as Bar Coordinator, Bar Manager or Restaurant Manager would be considered an asset
- Knowledge and experience setting up, running, stocking, restocking, and cleaning bars is considered an asset
- Knowledge and experience with conducting inventories, ordering and rotating products is considered an asset
- Computer and software experience (Payment Processing Systems, Microsoft Office, Google Suite. Square, BarkeepApp)
- Organizational, communication and time management skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and in high stress environments is considered an asset
- Experience in live music events, performing arts, conference and corporate events is considered an asset
- Proserve, WHIMIS, and First Aid are required for this position (can be acquired after hiring)
- Able to comfortably lift and move up to 25 kilograms
- Class 5 driver’s licence and access to a vehicle for pickup of perishable and other Bar and Concession items as required
- Basic PPE is required for the position such as gloves, steel toed boots, etc.
MRU supports full immunization as the best way to protect yourself and our campus community and strongly recommends vaccination against COVID-19.
Apply Here: mtroyalca.hua.hrsmart.com/ats/view_requisition.php?requisition_id=1934&referrer=%2Fats%2Fmanage_requisition.php