A Fitting Confusion
Written by Georges Feydeau
Translated by Norman R. Shapiro
Director: Zack Siezmagraff
Performance Dates: December 7 – 17, 2022
Audition Dates: September 16 & 17, 6pm-10pm (Zoom), Callbacks TBA (in person)
Rehearsals Begin: Thursday, September 29
Rehearsals will normally be Tuesday and Thursday evenings, and Sunday afternoons
Affairs of Lust and Laughter!
In chic 1930s Paris, a society doctor Moulineaux is desperately trying to conceal his attempted affair from his new wife. One hilarious confusion follows another as his meddling butler, angry mother-in-law, bumbling friend, a misplaced wife, another cheating husband, an absent dressmaker, and the Queen of Greenland add to the entanglements. “A Fitting Confusion” is a sparkling masterpiece of French farce complete with mistaken identities, fast and furious complications, and multiple sets of slamming doors.
Walterdale is committed to diverse, inclusive casting. For every role, the director will consider all submissions. Ages ranges are approximate and somewhat flexible.
- MOULINEAUX (30s – 50s), a society doctor, recently married to Yvonne, unable to break his old habits of chasing multiple women. In order to conceal his attempted affair with his patient Suzanne from his wife, he rents an old dressmaker’s apartment, but is forced to pretend to be Signor Yuno, the Italian tailor, when he is caught by Suzanne’s husband.
- BASSINET (30s – 60s), a dimwitted friend of Dr. Moulineaux’s, well-intentioned, but bumbling. He owns and apartment building and rents out Apartment 1B to multiple people without them knowing.
- DARTAGNAN (30s – 60s), a hotheaded soldier, married to Suzanne, but having an affair of his own with Mimi. If anyone tried to cuckold him, he’d shoot them on the spot.
- ETIENNE (any age), Moulineaux’s kind-hearted and loyal butler, who sometimes doesn’t know his place.
- YVONNE (20s – 40s), Moulineaux’s bride of 6 months. She is smart, strong willed, and doesn’t fall for her husband’s lies.
- SUZANNE (30s – 50s), a sultry vixen and patient of Dr. Moulineaux’s, she knows what she wants and isn’t afraid to get it. She is married to Dartagnan but has recently initiated an attempted affair with Moulineaux.
- MIMI (30s – 50s), a chic society woman, having an affair with Dartagnan. An old flame of Moulineaux’s from his college days, she used to be married to a dimwitted man, but left him for Dartagnan. A social climber, she is independent and uses men to get what she wants.
- MADAME AIGREVILLE (40s – 70s), Yvonne’s mother, The Mother-In-Law. She is bold, brassy, and in charge; not afraid to slap her philandering son-in-law Moulineaux around. The drama queen when she wants to be, she is also the spitting image of the Queen of Greenland.
- MADAME D’HERBLAY and LILY LELUXE (any age), unsatisfied clients of the dressmaker who used to rent Apartment 1B.
You will be auditioning in small groups on Zoom in a 45-minute slot in which you will be asked to read sides from the play (you will receive the sides before your audition).
Callbacks will be held in person , date and time TBA.
To book your audition, please sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0E4BA4A628A2F5C43-afitting
Prior to your audition, you will be sent an online form for completion to gather more information, including your headshot, resume, and any potential conflict dates you have with the rehearsal and performance schedule
If you are unable to make the audition dates, we will also accept recorded auditions. Please email the director to make the necessary arrangements for these.
Any Questions? Contact: AFittingConfusion@gmail.com
- Headshots and resumes are recommended but not required.
- A perusal copy of the script is available at the Theatre Alberta library.
- Walterdale Theatre Associates is a volunteer/member organization. We cannot engage Equity performers.
- Walterdale Theatre is a community theatre and is committed to inclusivity. Walterdale encourages artists who self-identify as members of under-represented communities to audition.