The purpose of Calgary’s science centre (“Spark”) is unwavering. Spark exists to make lives — and the world — better through an affinity for science. Through visits to Spark, and encounters with Spark in the community and online around the world, people are lifted up by the positive power of curiosity, experimentation and creativity. Spark is a registered charity.
The outcome is profound. Spark helps people of all ages fuel up for the future because at Spark, science, technology and invention are embedded in cultural experiences. This creates new points of access to the disciplines at the core of innovation. Join the Spark teams to transform lives and inspire the future.
Spark is currently recruiting for a Performer on a part-time, contract basis. This role will be a key contributor to the guest experience at Spark by creating and delivering engaging, world-class, science-based entertainment to guests. They actively demonstrate creativity, collaboration, flexibility, and exceptional engagement in every aspect of their work at Spark. As a Science Guide Performer, you will provide engaging, arts-based educational programming in the Inspiration Stage and throughout Spark’s galleries as needed. You will work as part of a theatre collective to create and perform repertory theatre on the Inspiration Stage, custom programming for events, and any activations that may be asked for to support and enhance Guest Experience throughout the science centre. As you are very proficient in engagement and presentation skills, you may also be asked to take on a coaching role with newer Science Guides across all Home Base pools.
- Act as a host for all guests with high energy and enthusiasm, giving insider tips where appropriate and connecting with guests through science communication.
- Seek out guest interactions, creating special moments to enhance the guest experience at Spark.
- Create and deliver ground-breaking STEAM experiences, including: live performances in the Inspiration Stage, Infinity Dome Live Planetarium shows, Atrium programming, gallery activations as needed, any social media asks, potential offsite programming for Flint the robot dog, and custom programming for events.
- Quantify the guest experience of STEAM experiences through the collection of guest surveys, including data entry of surveys for group review.
- Keep up to date on Spark programming, initiatives, membership offerings, and promotions.
- Work collaboratively with other Spark teams to meet objectives, creatively solve issues, and anticipate challenges.
- Ensure personal and team activities are aligned with business and strategic goals of Spark.
- Use performance rubrics to help train science communication and engagement skills in Science Guides from all Home Base Pools as needed.
- Maintain a safe teaching and learning environment for staff and our guests by following relevant Health and Safety policies.
- Model high performance, flexibility, and kindness in a rapidly changing growth environment.
- Other duties as required and assigned.
Qualifications & Knowledge
- Formal theatre training or work experience equivalent is required.
- A minimum of 1 year of experience communicating science to the public is required.
- Music training (singing and/or musical instruments) is an asset.
- Experience in the tourism industry is an asset.
- Experience as a creative ambassador for science who uses the arts to connect through science.
- An enthusiasm for science, technology, and STEAM.
- A passion for creating an amazing guest experience, regularly going above and beyond to create memorable, exciting experiences for guests.
- A proven track record of adding value to an organization’s culture and initiatives.
- A positive attitude!
- Desire to work on a high performing team with a continuous upgrading culture to achieve high impact results. Fluidity and a desire to work hard and grow are essential.
- A high degree of creativity with the ability to leave your ego at the door.
- Willingness to learn and adapt to change.
Culture at Spark
Spark’s goal is to become one of the top 10 most-worth-visiting science centres in the world. Through skilled and confident programming, Spark will attract visitors from around the city, province and globe, and immerse them in emotive experiences as they explore ever-evolving, quirky and thought-provoking galleries. The skilled programming at this level of success will only be possible with an organization-wide commitment to effective performance. High performance at Spark is both defined and experienced by diverse cultures and proactively advances equity among all human beings as part of the definition of effectiveness.
Spark’s high performance culture is driven by a shared purpose. Team members are united by values and proud of the reputation we are building together. What does high performance look like at Spark?
- Commitment to Purpose. Everyone at Spark is a purpose driven leader. You are passionate about entertaining people of all ages in creative encounters with science, technology and engineering, and the output of your work reflects our values: collaboration, curiosity, courage, commitment, and creativity. Why? Because it makes the world a kinder, safer and better place.
- Culture of Philanthropy. Spark is a registered educational charity that relies on the support of sponsors and donors to ensure it can do this work to make the world a better place.
- Commitment to Continuous Learning. Your individual growth is driven by a desire to be a part of the team that makes Spark one of the best science centres in the world. Every day is a professional development day at Spark. You are expected to seek out learning opportunities and pursue professional growth. At times the growth may be uncomfortable, and you embrace it as part of the journey.
- Agents of Change. We are a culture of experimentalists. It is expected and encouraged for staff to make suggestions that can improve a program, presentation, process or service. It is also expected and encouraged for suggestions to be accepted and tried with a thank you for helping each other get even stronger.
- Coaching Mindset. Sparklers are committed to helping each other become even stronger in our roles. Upgrading each other’s work is enjoyable and rewarding because teams are built on trust. Supervisor feedback feels like coaching, not criticism or punishment. Remember, you can say anything if you are kind, clear and non-judgmental. This is how high performance teams are built.
- Winning and Losing as a Team. We work together to drive action and results that are aligned with Spark’s mission in the outside world. We encourage healthy debate and science-based decision making. Our relationships allow us to make big asks of each other and get big things done together with a sense of urgency and excellence. If someone appears to fail, you ask, “What did I do or not do to contribute to that, as it is my failure too.”
- Achieving Results. Spark is dedicated to excellence in all aspects of communicating science and we carry that dedication to excellence in every aspect of Spark’s work. We encourage each other to set stretch goals and work together across all departments to exceed them.
To Apply: Interested candidates can submit their resume, in confidence, to firstname.lastname@example.org with “ Performer” in the subject line.
Closing Date: August 12, 2022
Hourly rate: Starting at $20 and dependent on experience.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Spark is committed to employment equity and diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.