The Department of Theatre Services in the Faculty of Arts is currently seeking a Recurring Part-time House Manager. This position will start in September 2022.
Reports to the Admin and Front of House Manager. Supervises part-time student front of house staff (ushers, cashiers, concession staff) during events at University Theatre Services facilities. The position has a high degree of independence during events. Peak periods of work are October-December and March-June. Consists primarily of evening and weekend shifts, with some daytime shifts April-June. Occasional extended shifts and shift work is required. Ensures the smooth operation of front of house activities during events. Trains new staff on-the-job. Assists Admin and Front of House Manager in training and evaluating staff.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Audience satisfaction: patrons treated respectfully; any special needs met, any problems addressed quickly, safety ensured in emergencies
- Sponsor satisfaction: all front of house needs met; any concerns addressed quickly
- Staff: relevant event information and specific duties communicated to staff, supervision of staff to ensure duties carried out correctly, event information discussed with stage manager
- Administrative: maintain security of box office and concession floats and deposits, complete paperwork associated with event, update payroll records
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Experience as a house manager or a sound knowledge of front of house procedures.
- Strong supervisory, communication and customer service skills.
- Flexibility and the ability to function effectively under pressure.
- Fine arts background and knowledge of university community are both assets.
Application Deadline: August 14, 2022
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the General Job Family, Phase 3.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website. For more information about the Faculty of Arts visit Careers in the Faculty of Arts.