6-Week, Full-time Contract
(with possible extension)
About Vertigo Theatre
Vertigo Theatre is a premiere cultural institution in Calgary and has entertained audiences for 45 years with high-quality programming. It is the only theatre in North America programming a season based entirely in the mystery genre. Located at the base of the Calgary Tower, the Vertigo Theatre complex is home to our administration, ticket offices and two performance venues. Vertigo Theatre aims to thrill, entertain, and challenge by creating theatre that ignites the curiosity of our community. We are dedicated to the revitalization of the mystery theatre genre and to inspiring and mentoring the next generation of arts leaders.
About the Position
To further its commitment to education and professional development, Vertigo Theatre is seeking to hire a Production Apprentice for each of its four productions in the 2022-2023 season. This is an entry level position where the Production Apprentice will be exposed to all the aspects it takes to produce a professional production. The experience will be highly varied and can include everything from participating in lighting hangs, sound install, set install, props
building/sourcing, rigging, paint, special effects, and wardrobe. The positions may be extended if required to have the PA join the running crew for the duration of the production.
The successful candidates will be motivated individuals who have a keen interest in developing their skills in theatrical production. This position would be well suited to a recent graduate of theatre school or someone with a technical or production background in community theatre.
Skills and Requirements
- Comfortable working at heights
- Able to lift 50 lbs
- Comfortable using power tools
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to take direction & work independently
- Must be a team player with a positive attitude and a willingness to learn
- A degree or diploma in Technical Theatre or equivalent experience
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License (or equivalent) and clean Driver’s Abstract
- First Aid Certification is an asset
- Fully vaccinated against Covid-19 (except in cases of a medical exemption)
40 hours per week, Monday to Friday, with some evenings and weekends required
- Misery (running crew focus): Sept 3 – Oct 15, 2022 (6 weeks), with the potential to begin earlier
- Murder on the Orient Express: Oct 7 – Nov 18, 2022 (6 weeks)
- The Extractionist: Jan 3 – Feb 14, 2023 (6 weeks)
- Gaslight: Feb 10 – March 24, 2023 (6 weeks)
$720 per week plus 4% Vacation Pay
Deadline to submit
Applications will be accepted until suitable candidates are found for all positions. Interviews will start August 15th, 2022.
Please send a cover letter and resume or CV to Tuled Giovanazzi, Production & Facility Manager, at Tuled.G@vertigotheatre.com. Please make a note of the productions that you are interested in and available for in your email.
Please use the subject line Production Apprentice Application.
At Vertigo Theatre we are committed to a respectful work environment and a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals including visible minorities and people with disabilities.
Thank you to all applicants. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. For more information about Vertigo Theatre please visit our website, vertigotheatre.com.