About Trickster Theatre
Trickster Theatre is a 42 year old Calgary based Children’s Theatre company. The company primarily creates original shows in one-week school residency programs across Alberta. Over 1100 of those programs have taken place in the past 32 years. The program has been delivered in more than 75% of the Communities in Alberta, including more than 120 programs in 24 Indigenous communities. The company performs for more than 50,000 people per year. The company receives funding from the AFA, CADA, Canada Council and various Foundations and Corporations. Trickster Theatre is the largest Children’s Theatre company in Alberta. It is a registered charity.
In each residency, Trickster Theatre supports the school in creating a show on its specific theme choice. These range from Leadership, Science, Math, Storytelling, local history, land based learning, human rights, diversity, global Issues, to Reconciliation. The projects take place at all grade levels. About 20% of the work is in Indigenous Communities.
The company also delivers online and live workshops to schools. These are focused in 3 areas – Storytelling, Science and Global Issues. This work is based on 20 years of experience in creating theatre on these themes and is backed up by research.
Trickster Theatre is looking for an Operations Manager. This person will be a key member of the leadership team and will help run the day to day operations. The operations manager will work with the artist team ( approx. 40 part-time artists, 15 of which are online only), as well as the rest of the Admin and Artistic Management team (3-4 people). The role will report to the Producing Director.
Responsibilities for this Role
- Helps set residency tour schedules
- Sets the class schedules for residencies
- Organizes artist staffing for residencies
- Manages contracts for both artists and schools
- Books hotels for residencies
- Works with school to organize volunteer support
- Helps set prop styles and theme ideas for each class based on discussions with the artistic team
- Tracks stats, work hours and budgets for funding reporting
- Track info in the Salesforce database
- Tracks time and contract weeks and prepares that info for the accountant
- Manages tour vehicle maintenance schedule
- Manages annual equipment maintenance scheduling
- Website and Automation Processes
- Supervises website and ecommerce back-end process staff
- Be part of the team overhauling website sales and ecommerce systems this coming season
- Manage the office space
- Manage google office and related document storage
- Manage software licencing and deployment
- Manage documents related to artist employment and school board accounting
- Manages policies, procedures, and systems
- Supports the sales and granting processes as needed
- 3 years + experience in arts administration
- Proven experience leading and mentoring a diverse team to achieve organizational goals.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills
- Superior professionalism, judgment, tact, and ethics
- Proficiency with Google Office Suite and Salesforce preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of spreadsheets
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, constantly changing work environment.
- Experience working in schools is an asset
- This position requires occasional lifting of up to 30 lbs to waist height
- Salary range for this position is $60,000 – $70,000 dependent on experience.
- Must be available to work some weekend or evening hours as necessary to facilitate touring equipment scheduling.
- Occasional week-day and evening visits to Calgary area schools during school hours will be necessary.
- Office location: NW Calgary. Tuscany area. (may potentially work 2 days a week from a home office)
Deadline: Aug. 7, 2022
Please send cover letter, resume, and salary expectations to Producing Director, David Chantler: firstname.lastname@example.org
Trickster Theatre is committed to fostering an anti-racist, equitable, diverse, and inclusive environment and, as such, encourages qualified candidates from a diverse range of backgrounds.
We thank you for your interest in Trickster Theatre. All candidates will be notified of the status of their application.