Alberta Theatre Projects is preparing for our next few seasons of producing live, professional, contemporary theatre in Calgary. We recently announced our 2022-23 season and we are already planning for our 50th anniversary season in 2023-2024. We create world-class contemporary theatre that blurs the line between the audience and the artist, by telling the most provocative and engaging stories of our time. By embracing the intimacy and unique audience configuration opportunities of the Martha Cohen Theatre, we offer an exciting new experience for our audience with each production.
This is a very exciting time in the history of Alberta Theatre Projects as we look to the future: how our company can continue to be a national leader in new play development, producing and presenting world class productions of contemporary theatre that engages our community by reflecting their stories on stage. We are also in the initial planning stages of a pilot national touring program for our ATP productions.
As we plan to innovate, reenergize and envision a bold, bright future of our company for the next 50 plus years –laying a new foundation for growth in the next few seasons – we are also reviewing how we do things at our company to make the future even brighter. As we have welcomed new leadership – Rohit Chokhani as our new Artistic and Executive Director, Marcie Januska as our Producer and soon to be announced a new General Manager, we are looking for an exciting Director of Development to join the Management Team at our company. ATP is in a high-growth phase and we are excited to keep the momentum going as one of our country’s leaders in professional theatre; we can’t wait for you to join us on this journey.
- This is a full time position.
- This position requires a flexible work schedule due to operational needs of Alberta Theatre Projects and events taking place in the Martha Cohen Theatre, including evening, weekend, and holiday work. We follow a 40 hour week as an organization. Evening and weekend work is required especially for this position, particularly during the runs of plays, donor + sponsor engagement activities, Committee meetings and events – As they occur often in the evening or on weekends.
- Occasional work in excess of 40 hours is required. We have a time off policy which accounts for quarterly lieu time and a work life balance as well as a holiday closure and other benefits to account for the longer hours occasionally during the season.
- This position operates in an office environment part of the week. Certain amount of presence weekly in the office during the office hours of other staff and team members is necessary. We are open to Hybrid arrangements which allow the flexibility to juggle between certain in office presence as well as flex hours to account for the primary responsibilities of the role.
ABOUT THE POSITION – Primary responsibilities
Alberta Theatre Projects seeks a passionate director of development to lead the fundraising efforts of our organization. This is a unique time for Alberta Theatre Projects and this role provides a great opportunity for someone looking to create a set of systems and plans for a robust revenue strategy. You are excited by the idea of prospecting new donors, managing the pipeline of prospects, and stewarding existing relationships. You are passionate about grant writing, subsidy applications, sponsorships and public revenue.
Armed with a new CRM software system and a baseline of development initiatives, you’ll join a culture that values innovation in new fundraising product and program administration, while maintaining relationships with a community of ardent supporters. This role is responsible for building on our longstanding corporate sponsorships and public funders, driving individual fundraising efforts, and leading fundraising events and special projects. Reporting to the General Manager and working closing with the Artistic & Executive Director, Chair of the Fund development committee and the board of the directors, the director of development will create and execute both short-term and long-term strategic fundraising plans and oversee planning for corporate stewardship and individual giving events.
This is a unique time to join us as you will be responsible for all fundraising operations—from building yearly development strategies to managing tax receipt distribution—allowing you to take total ownership of this key department at Alberta Theatre Projects. You will have an existing plan in motion for our developmental department and shall be responsible to carry forward a long history of developmental efforts while at the same time initiating new efforts and initiatives in a post pandemic effort to reinvigorate development at our company. Please note that you are the sole person leading this effort and this department in collaboration with the rest of the ATP team and the fund development committee. Currently – You do not have any direct reports and are expected to be self-motivated and independent in your day to day efforts however you will be supported by the various ATP team members as well as the Board of director and Fund development committee members on a weekly basis.
- Finance Committee (Participate – If and when needed)
- Fund Development Committee ( You are the staff lead for this committee and attend every meeting)
- Board Meetings (Participate – If and when needed)
- Promote ATP’s vision and mission.
- Create, lead and track developmental goals, objectives that align the developmental work to the ATP Strategic Plan and goals.
- Collaborate in a positive environment for team members that facilitates open communication and increases engagement.
- Work collaboratively with the various ATP staff, board, committee members and volunteers to achieve various developmental goals and priorities.
- Build developmental relationships with other resident companies in Arts Commons, staying connected to best practices within the industry.
- In consultation with Senior Management, lead and develop annual budget and forecasts for the developmental department and present to the Fund development committee (Monthly), Finance Committee (Occasionally) and the Board of Directors (Occasionally).
- Update, review and analyse the budget throughout the year to ensure actuals track to budget expectations.
- Provide monthly updates on forecasted budget numbers, actuals and analysis for the same to Senior management and the Fund development committee.
You are expected to take on the following administrative duties as a part of this position:
- Prepare an annual report to present to all the various donors, sponsors and developmental stakeholders in collaboration with Marketing and Sales.
- Administrative responsibilities for your own role.
- Generating and tracking charitable tax receipts.
- Tracking and processing donations, Tessitura reporting.
- Sponsorship contract generation.
- Overall database management, records keeping, reporting and filing.
- Communications responsibility for your own role.
- Tracking and assisting with Corporate and Individual Donor benefits,
Collaboration with Other Departments
- Front of House: Oversee all front of house based considerations for Donors, sponsors, subscribers etc from the perspective of prospecting, stewardship, relationship building and engagement, including collaboration on bar and merchandise based sponsorships. This includes planning the Opening night receptions with other team leads.
- Marketing and Sales team: Collaborate with these efforts and ensure the messaging and communications are sent out in a timely fashion to donors, sponsors and other important developmental stakeholders. Ensure all the stakeholders are greeted and thanked by a ATP team member when they attend ATP events and productions.
- 5+ years of experience in development with a proven track record in cultivation and successful solicitation of corporate sponsorship and individual gifts.
- Outstanding communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Innovative and self-motivated, with the ability to manage a variety of projects and experiment with cutting-edge strategies.
- Track record of success in guiding, preparing and supporting board members and executive staff in cultivating and asking for contributions from individuals.
- Knowledge of legal parameters for development ecosystem, including CRA and AGLC requirements.
- Confidence in approaching new sponsors and donors.
- Excellent relationship management skills.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office products and CRM software, preferably Spektrix.
- Proven ability to work independently as well as within a team environment.
- Ability to travel within the city and within Canada on occasion.
- Outstanding leadership skills.
- Strong collaborative decision making abilities.
- Exceptional and inspiring communications skills, both written and oral.
- A passion and commitment to the performing arts and their value to society.
- A can-do attitude and a willingness to go above and beyond when necessary.
- Very strong organizational skills, including balancing multiple responsibilities and effectively meeting deadlines.
- Very strong planning and project management skills: able to plan, identify and execute on deliverables with short timelines.
- Very strong Donor engagement.
- Being adaptable and able to work in a changing environment.
- Other experience areas that would be an asset for the position:
- Experience working on the administrative team for a non-profit arts organization, preferably in performing arts.
- Experience preparing grant applications and all required government correspondence.
COVID-19 VACCINATION & MASK MANDATE
Alberta Theatre Projects is extremely conscious of the health and safety of our workforce and audiences. As a condition of employment, all Alberta Theatre Projects’ employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 using a Health Canada approved vaccination dosage before joining the organization. Employees must provide proof of their vaccination status to our human resources department. We also currently have a mask mandate in place for all employees in our office, building and venue. For up to date information on our vaccination policy and mask mandate please visit our website.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
Alberta Theatre Projects is committed to reflecting the diversity of our community. Our commitment to DE&I is woven into our values and belief that our organization is strongest when we embrace our communities’ lived experiences, regardless of what we look like, where we come from, or whom we love. That means building a more equitable, inclusive workplace and promoting daily actions that reinforce our DE&I commitment to the audiences we serve. We believe in equity and inclusion and strongly encourage submissions from all qualified individuals regardless of gender, age, race, culture, nationality, family status, sexual orientation, and physical ability. If you require any accommodations during the hiring process, please email email@example.com in confidence.
Please email a letter of interest and resume by email to Rohit Chokhani, Artistic & Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
Your letter of interest should address the following:
- Why you would like to pursue this opportunity at this moment in time in your career and why we should hire you?
- Why you think you have the skills and experience to land this position?
- What excites you the most for the next decade ahead in the theatre industry?
- What future do you envision for fundraising and fund development in a post pandemic world?
- Anything else you would like to highlight or tell us about yourself.
ATP would like to fill this position immediately; interviews shall be conducted as soon as a qualified candidate applies and is selected. Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled and/or the deadline is passed. To receive full consideration, please apply by the deadline or sooner. Thank you to all applicants; only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please note that an employee police record check and a vulnerable sector check will be required before joining the organization.
Application Deadline: July 22nd, 5:00 p.m. MST.
Start date (Negotiable): Ideally August 15th, 2022. We are open to negotiation on a start date based upon the prior commitments of the successful candidate.
Remuneration: An annual salary, of $70,000 – $80,000 commensurate with experience, with three weeks of paid vacation annually and our company’s employee group health plan after three months of start date.