Since 1963, Edmonton Opera (EO) has inspired our community with performances that resonate beyond the final note. We are currently looking for an excellent communicator with a passion for sharing the performing arts with others to join our company. This Communications Coordinator will work closely with the rest of the Community Relations team to help Edmonton Opera resonate with our community.
This is a full-time salaried position from Monday to Friday (9am–5pm, or equivalent) with occasional weekend and evening shifts required.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Director of Marketing, the Communications Coordinator will be responsible for:
- Writing compelling content that speaks to different target audience segments,
- Engaging the community via our social media channels and maintaining a consistent posting schedule,
- Acting as an ambassador for EO at company events.
- Assisting with producing video content for marketing, including interviews and promotional videos,
- Coordinating content for EO’s house playbill, including collecting bios, headshots, artist statements, and writing content (as needed),
- Coordinating and writing grants, reporting and foundation applications,
- Media relations:
- Working on securing media coverage and presence of EO in local, national and international media with frequency, building relationships with key industry media to receive the most coverage possible,
- Managing all media relations, and researching editorial opportunities,
- Publishing e-newsletters and targeted email campaigns,
- Updating the EO website as required,
- Maintaining an archive of past publications and marketing materials,
- Assisting with internal mail-outs and administrative tasks,
- Writing engaging education guides for students and educators,
- Coordinating with the Artistic and Production departments to plan school visits and other educational activities,
- Writing speeches and briefing notes,
- Other duties as required
Preferred Qualifications & Skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required. A good candidate must be proficient with the Microsoft Office Suite and social media apps.
- Experience using Tessitura is considered an asset but not required (training will be provided).
- Proven ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and make effective decisions.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team. Appreciation for the performing arts is essential.
- A post-secondary degree or diploma in marketing, humanities, communications, public relations, arts management or a related field is preferred.
- Access to a vehicle is required.
Working hours are expected to be forty (40) hours per week, Monday through Friday with occasional evening and weekend shifts for performances and special events. Occasional monitoring of social media channels will be required during off-hours.
Edmonton Opera is currently fully remote. Our events and performances take place at the Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium and other locations as required.
Benefits and Compensation
The yearly salary for this position is $45,000. Comprehensive benefits package (health and dental) becomes available upon completion of a three-month probationary period, two weeks’ vacation, with the ability to bank overtime hours, and an RRSP partial matching program after one year. As well as complimentary tickets for Edmonton Opera performances, as well as discounted tickets for friends and family.
Please send your cover letter and resume to:
Director of Marketing & Patron Services
Resumes and cover letters will be accepted until Sunday, July 17, 2022.
We thank you for your interest but only those persons chosen for interviews will be contacted.
Edmonton Opera is located on Treaty 6 territory. We actively encourage applications from diverse and equity-seeking backgrounds.