Gaslight (Equity and Non-Equity)
By Johnna Wright and Patty Jamieson
Based on the play Angel Street by Patrick Hamilton
Directed by Jack Grinhaus
ENGAGEMENT COMPANY AND OUTSIDE DATES
Vertigo Theatre (Calgary) – rehearsals begin February 21, 2023; opens March 23, 2023; closes April 16, 2023.
Bella Manningham believes she is living an idyllic married life with her charming husband Jack, but is she? Items begin to disappear, pictures move by themselves, and the gaslight dims without even a touch. Bella worries that her grip on reality is slipping and that she will drive Jack away. Secrets from the past are slowly revealed as Bella searches for answers and realizes that the people she loves are not always as they seem.
This new adaptation of the classic Victorian thriller will keep you on the edge of your seat as you discover the mysteries of the Manningham home.
ROLES TO BE CAST
- BELLA woman mid 20s: A young married woman with a nervous disposition. Loves and trusts her husband, Jack.
- JACK man 35-40: Bella’s husband. Debonair and charming, appears to be the most loving, sympathetic and supportive partner he could possibly be.
- ELIZABETH woman 50s-60s: The housekeeper, hard of hearing. A lifetime “in service” has taught her to remain as dutiful and discreet as possible, and to keep her opinions to herself except in extreme circumstances.
- NANCY woman early-mid 20s: The young housemaid. Smart and perceptive, she thinks she sees an opportunity to
AUDITION DATES: July 27th and 28th, 10am – 6pm.
Vertigo Theatre has a responsibility to create work spaces where people are comfortable in a creation process, and can be themselves in every capacity. With this in mind, we encourage submissions from those who identify as Indigenous, Black, or POC as well as 2SLGBTQIA+, Disabled/People with Disabilities and/or Neuro-Divergent people.
*If there are any potential barriers (language, disability, or any other considerations) preventing you from applying to audition, please let us know and we will work with you to find a suitable application process.
Our current policy is that masks may be removed depending on comfort and as long as physical distancing is maintained throughout the audition. There will be no intimacy. Vertigo Theatre requires all individuals working in our season to be fully vaccinated.
This policy may be adjusted according to government regulations.
HOW TO SUBMIT
We would like to request a submission package consisting of:
Please submit packages through the following link: surveymonkey.com/r/6XW2LVC
- We will not be collecting hard copies of headshots and resumes at the audition. The audition panel will receive them all electronically.
- Headshots do not need to be from a professional photographer but must be a clear photo of you.
DEADLINE for submission packages is July 10th.
LOCAL SUBMISSIONS ONLY FOR THIS CASTING CALL.
CAEA Members will be given first priority.
*If you are unable to submit for an in-person audition, please say so in your submission. We may be able to accommodate a virtual audition or a self-tape.
Company Manager, Vertigo Theatre