Staged Theatre Productions is searching for actors for the brand new musical Ally Anne by Grace Fitzgerald, going up in the 2022 Edmonton Fringe Festival!
Something strange is going on in the town of Vulcan, Alberta, and that something might even just be out of this world. When an alien arrives at the Grover Ranch on the outskirts of town, the young Grover brothers try their best to show her what humanity’s all about! Ally Anne is a musically packed roller coaster about family, connection, and what it really means to be human.
- Ally Anne – Young, curious, and spunky alien. Eager to learn about everything and everyone she might come into contact with. Mezzo.
- Bennett Grover – Known as Benny. Shy, easygoing, and insecure. In his brother’s shadow. Baritone.
- Spencer Grover – The older Grover brother. A bit cocky, confident, outgoing, extroverted. Tenor.
- Noah Fence – Farm hand for the Grovers. Friend to most, confident, kind, simple minded. Baritone.
- Jenny Barnes – Bubbly, bright, outgoing, and friendly. Wants everyone to get along. Struggles under her mother’s rules. Soprano.
- Mabel Barnes – Younger of the Barnes sisters. Gothic, moody. Alto.
- Loranne Barnes – Town busybody, mother to the Barnes girls. Toxic, set in her ways, and determined to get what she wants. Alto.
- Lottie Futreen – The other town busybody, but less so. Follows Loranne’s lead. Enthusiastic and wants to fit in. Soprano.
- Mayor Kent Green – Town mayor. Thinks more like a salesman than a politician- will do anything to make that sale. Skeezy. Baritone.
- Cooper Futreen – Lottie’s teenage son, a bully. Crude and selfish, likely just very insecure.
- Graham Graham – Town misfit. Abrupt, mysterious, unhinged.
- Gunter Krause – The town’s butcher, easily influenced. Pushy, well known.
Note: Roles will be cast regardless of gender, with the playwright being willing to make appropriate changes to reflect this. Casting of all roles will be between the ages of 15-24. Performers are asked to come masked to their auditions, and there will be masks available on site if need be.
The role of Gunter Krause has already been cast.
REHEARSALS AND PERFORMANCES:
Rehearsals will take place throughout June, July, and August, and the show will take place over the course of the 2022 Edmonton Fringe Festival (August 11-21). Scheduling is very flexible, and will be based on the availability of the performers.
Covid-19 precautions will be present. Rehearsals will begin masked, with the goal of performers unmasking and doing the show unmasked by the end. However, we will monitor the state of the pandemic, changing guidelines, and individual comfort levels, and discussion will be welcome and encouraged! The main priority is the safety and comfort of all involved.
Please prepare a 1-2 minute memorised contemporary monologue for your audition OR a 1-2 minute cut from a musical theatre, pop, or folk song. We will have a bluetooth speaker to play your own accompaniment from, or you can email it to us to play for you ahead of time.. We only need you to prepare one of these things, but be prepared to be asked to sing or act a little regardless (in a low pressure and guided environment- we just want to see what you can do!).
Auditions will be held on Thursday, May 26th and Saturday, May 28th from 5:00-9:00 at the Lansdowne Community Hall (4915 124 St NW). If needed or wanted, individual auditions can be requested to be held over Zoom instead. Additionally, if neither of these dates work for you but you’re interested in auditioning, please reach out and we can try to find a day that works for you. Don’t hesitate to contact us to let us know how we can best accommodate you!
Please follow the link below to sign up: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090A48ADA623A1FF2-ally
Staged Theatre Productions is committed to equitable casting. If there are any barriers that may prevent you from being able to audition, please reach out to Grace Fitzgerald ([email protected]) to see how we can help you out.
If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact Grace Fitzgerald at [email protected]! We’re so excited to meet you and share a love of the arts!