The Citadel Theatre in Edmonton, Alberta is looking for a highly organized team player who thrives in a fast-paced environment to join our Production team as Head of Scenic Paint. This is a seasonal head of department position starting June 6, 2022.
The Citadel is a very active, not-for-profit theatre producing a season, which usually includes a Mainstage series of six plays, a House Series, our seasonal production of A Christmas Carol, a summer musical and, assorted other projects as they arise from season to season. We support a vibrant theatre school and an active new play development program. Our facilities are available for rental by other arts organizations and community groups.
The Citadel complex includes:
- The Shoctor Theatre – a proscenium stage with 686 seats
- The Maclab Theatre – a thrust stage with 685 seats
- The Rice Theatre – a 155 seat cabaret-style theatre
- The Tucker Amphitheatre – an open-air multi-functional area which seats 150
- Zeidler Hall – a 220 seat theatre suitable for films and lectures
- The Lee Pavilion – a beautiful indoor garden.
The Head of Scenic Paint reports to the Director of Production and Technical Director in ensuring high quality production values for all Citadel productions and events relating to and supervising the Paint team. They are responsible for the safe and effective operation of the scenic paint department, the organization, operation and maintenance of all paint equipment within the Citadel, related to the Citadel’s presentation of productions in all our spaces and on tours as well as other events, while making appropriate, effective and safe use of our facilities and human and financial resources. The Head of Scenic Paint must be ready to take a proactive leadership role in creating a respectful and positive workplace where all of our stakeholders are excited, connected and invested in the work of the theatre. They are responsible for the painting of scenery, drops, stage, and other items for Citadel productions and activities.
Responsibilities: (under the direction of /in collaboration with the Director of Production (DP) and Technical Director (TD)
- Supervise/schedule the supervision of the painting of stage scenery and related items as well as participate in the painting.
- In consultation with the DP and TD, determine methods, materials and any special treatments to be used while working.
- Supervise all activities directly related to the co-ordination of the scenic paint shop.
- Produce paint samples and related paperwork necessary to realize the needs of the design in conjunction with the Director and the Designer.
- Ensure the appropriate care, handling and maintenance of all scenic paint equipment, materials and facilities.
- Understand, create and adhere to safe working practices with the materials in a multi-use shop.
- Oversee the cleanliness of the scenic paint shop and related areas.
- Attend meetings and rehearsals as required.
- Have, and keep current, all necessary licenses, certificates, and training, including First Aid.
- Manage and meet departmental budgets in consultation with the Director of Production.
- Participate in the development of material cost estimates, labour estimation for scenic paint budgets and schedules in writing, be accountable for expenditures in budget accounts as assigned by DP and TD, as well as the confidentiality of personnel and financial information, in conjunction with other Department Heads.
- Build and maintain positive personnel relationships, with other departments and positively manage conflict resolution.
- Work in a fast-paced environment with maintaining the ability to work on multiple shows concurrently while balancing shifting needs and priorities in a collaborative way.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule is an asset.
- Negotiating schedules with construction methods and/or understanding construction needs.
- Knowledge of all scenic paint materials, media and equipment as well as the application of all techniques required to replicate an image to a large scale.
- Ability as a gilder, sculptor with skills in landscape painting, portraiture, figurative painting, faux finishing and more.
- Ability to read and decipher drawings / extrapolate details from models or reference materials.
- Understanding scale representations and construction impacts to the painting process.
- Digital arts skill (Adobe Photoshop / Illustrator and understanding of projecting digital images an asset).
- Highly organized, and detail-oriented individual who displays a positive attitude
- Minimum of five years scenic paint experience.
- Post-secondary theatre training/visual art training or equivalent experience.
- Certified in First Aid and Fall Arrest.
- Strong team leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Able to maintain a calm and professional demeanor under pressure.
The hourly rate is $30.02
This position works under a collective agreement between the I.A.T.S.E Local #210 and the Citadel Theatre.
Applicants must be a member in good standing of IATSE or willing to join.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to email a resume and letter of interest to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org Posting will remain open until April 11th 2022 or until a suitable candidate is found.
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available upon request. The Citadel Theatre is committed to having our team reflect the community it serves and actively welcome applicants from diverse and equity-seeking backgrounds. The Citadel also endeavors to create and guard a culture of respect and cooperation with all staff, artists, colleagues, volunteers and internal / external parties.
Thank you for your interest but only those persons chosen for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Citadel Theatre’s COVID-19 protocols (such as masking, screening, vaccinations) are a part of our “Returning Safely Policy,” to ensure everyone is safe in at the work place. PLEASE NOTE – Citadel Theatre’s vaccination protocol will be in place for this position. Anyone working in the building is expected to be fully vaccinated (if they are medically able). Please be aware of this requirement before you submit your resume.