DECIDEDLY JAZZ DANCEWORKS (DJD)
DJD is inviting applications for the permanent position of Production Manager.
DJD is one of very few dance companies in North America dedicated to jazz dance. A creation-based company, DJD presents new work annually, most often with live original music. DJD was born in 1984 to keep the spirit of jazz alive and we have created over 70 original productions in our 37-year history, which are performed in our home base of Calgary as well as touring across Canada and beyond.
DJD is situated on Treaty 7 territory, home of the Kainai, Piikani, Siksika, Tsuut’ina, Stoney-Nakoda Nations and Métis Nation Region 3.
Jazz is born of Black American culture and its roots lie in the turbulent history of the African American experience. We acknowledge this history and recognize ourselves as guests in this form. We are inspired by and benefit from traditions born of a culture that is not our own. We strive to be respectful in honouring the roots and history of jazz, we dance with reverence for those who came before us, we dig deep to go forward, we strive to appreciate rather than appropriate.
DJD’s mandate is to create an awareness of, and encourage respect for the integrity, spirit and traditions of jazz through education and performance. A typical DJD season is anchored by a minimum of two original productions, at least one of which includes live music. In addition to creating and producing, DJD is also involved in educational programming and community outreach. DJD has an operating budget of $3.5 million. In April 2016, DJD completed a successful $28.5M capital campaign opening the beautiful DJD Dance Centre, creating a wonderful new home for DJD and the arts community with 6 studios, a Community Living Room space, and a 230 -seat studio theatre in 40,000 square feet.
The Production Manager is responsible for overseeing all the logistical, technical and production elements of the company’s performances, the co-ordination and execution of the company’s tours and the management of the DJD Dance Centre’s theatre rentals. We are looking for someone with the aptitude to oversee a broad scope of responsibilities necessary to propel us along our path. Excellence in people, organizational and communication skills are essential to be successful in this role.
- Work with the Artistic Director from the early development stages to the final presentation of all DJD productions.
- Budget development, financial and statistical reporting
- Contract and schedule all musicians, designers, guest choreographers and other artistic collaborators
- Manage the production team, Technical Director, Stage Management and Wardrobe
- Be part of the team that manages the Theatre Rentals, facility maintenance and operations of the DJD Dance Centre
- Minimum of 5+ years working in a management role in a theatrical environment
- A strong understanding of the technical needs and opportunities that are available for the staging of live performances
- A resourceful attitude, entrepreneurial spirit with strong capabilities for logistics and problem solving
- Superior negotiating and budgeting skills
- Proactive, industrious, and an ability to navigate multiple projects within necessary timelines
- Demonstrated leadership and management experience, strong communication skills, and a track record of working collaboratively within a team
Please send your resume and cover letter by April 15, 2022 to:
Kimberley Cooper, Artistic Director, Decidedly Jazz Danceworks
• The start date of this position is negotiable between June and August 2022
• Interviews will be conducted on an on-going basis and the job posting will officially close when a suitable candidate is found
• Salary range is $60-70K + benefits
• We thank all interested applicants in advance, but we will only be contacting those selected for an interview.