Something Gained Theatre Co. is currently seeking auditions for our 2022 Edmonton Fringe production of Youngblood by Kayla Turnbull
Youngblood is a new play written by University of Lethbridge alumni and local Edmonton artist, Kayla Turnbull. A 1970s gang drama set in small town California, Youngblood follows an ensemble of down-on-their-luck misfits who must try to stay afloat while they evade enlistment of the Vietnam War and navigate treacherous waters of opposing gang rivalries, inter-gang drama, and a boiling revolt of a town they once loved.
Auditions March 14th and 15th, 5-9pm – Park Place Tower Community Room. If you are unable to attend in-person auditions, send a video audition by March 21st.
Send your headshot and resume to email@example.com to secure an audition slot, and please indicate which character you would like to audition for – character descriptions are below.
Please prepare one 60-90 second contemporary monologue, and be prepared to read sides.
Individuals from minority groups are encouraged to audition. You must be 18+ to audition.
The cast of Youngblood is 5 male presenting/identifying individuals and 1 gender-non-conforming individual. See character breakdowns below.
Youngblood will be performed at Edmonton Fringe 2022.
You must be available for the run of the festival (August 11-21, 2022) and any required rehearsal/technical times leading up to then.
Please note: Youngblood contains mature content.
- Merrick (M / 20-25): The leader of the gang and one of the oldest members, Merrick is strong, stoic, and has been in the business of gang life for almost 10 years now. He is working to retire, and trying to outrun his demons rather than confront and admit to them.
- Armani (M / 19-22): An optimistic pickpocket, Armani is the most level-headed and easygoing of the group. He does what he thinks is right and tries his best to protect the gang.
- Donny (M / 22-25): Donny is a Black, nonverbal character. His dialogue is produced as thoughts heard by the audience but silent to the cast. Donny uses ASL. He is tough, poetic, and very intelligent.
- Everard: (M / 17-19): Everard is a wealthy narcissist, and one of the youngest members of the gang. He is unpredictable and can be very cruel, and certainly acts as a thorn in the side of the rest of the characters.
- Sonny (NB / 16-19): Sonny is the youngest member of the gang, as well as a Beatles-loving, anarchistic, superstitious hippie. Arguably Sonny is the most down-trodden of the group, but does not behave like it. They are light-hearted, philosophical, and free.
- Ben (M / 20-25): Around the same age as Merrick, Ben is the only member who has served jail time. He is a gambler, a con artist, and a slippery individual. Ben is opinionated and the smartest member of the gang, always challenging his cohorts.
SGTC is committed to inclusive casting, and artists who are members of marginalized communities are encouraged to submit.