The Suncor Energy Centre for the Performing Arts (SECPA) at Holy Trinity Catholic High School is an innovative Performing Art Centre built in partnership with Suncor Energy and the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo.
SECPA is an integral part of Holy Trinity Catholic High School where students can take credit courses in visual and performing arts. Outside of school hours, it becomes one of the busiest cultural hubs in the region offering various and engaging visual and performing arts programs to the community.
The Catholic School Division is seeking a full-time Theatre Technician for SECPA. Working as part of a dedicated and passionate team, the technician has a versatile and engaging role that supports the theatre and the many users of the facilities. The successful applicant will work collaboratively with the staff at SECPA and the school to support the operations of the theatre and a wide range of hosted events including theatre performances, presentations, professional development activities, corporate events, weddings and various community events. The incumbent will also work closely with teachers in supporting the delivery of the performing arts curriculum to students and the various performing arts activities led by students.
The incumbent of this position must be ready to work on a flexible schedule that is structured around the school calendar, performances and events. As a result, there will be work required in the evenings and on weekends.
- Technical Theatre Diploma from an accredited post secondary institution
- Standard First Aid and a valid Class 5 Driver’s licence required
- Minimum one year of experience working as a theatre technician
- Knowledge of Black Box Theatre configurations, lighting and audio functions, risers and staging, stage construction and general equipment set up, adjustment and maintenance
- All theatre technical skill sets will be considered, but strength with lighting, sound, staging, rigging and stage construction/maintenance are required
- A solid understanding and knowledge of theatre management and theatre operations including community theatre, school productions, dance recitals, weddings and other uses
- Able to work with the facilities team to execute requests for rentals and engage with clients
- Desire and ability to work with, and instruct students on, lighting console, sound console, stage construction and all technical aspects of preparing for a production
- Working knowledge of computer applications including Word, Excel, Google applications and information management tools
- Graphic design skills and the ability to use Adobe Illustrator would be an asset
- A team oriented thinker who will have a professional, knowledgeable and collaborative attitude
- Customer service focused; able to work effectively with a variety of clients in a diverse, fast paced environment and offer professional opinions on best practises
- Able to work both independently with minimal supervision and as a part of a dynamic, fun and enthusiastic team
- Health and safety minded with a strong understanding of safety procedures
- Able to work with scissor lifts and forklifts; licences in either would be an asset
- Safety certifications including fall arrest and aerial lift would be an asset