NEXTFEST is looking for High School Project Mentors
Nextfest is a multi-disciplinary emerging arts festival in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada running June 2- 12, 2022.
Join our team!
We are looking for three mentors that will work with multiple high school productions leading up to and during Nextfest 2022. These mentors will communicate directly with their student teams and help them where they need it the most. They will help the teen productions be ready for the festival, submit their information on time, solve any issues that may arise for the teens, attend a few rehearsals, attend their tech rehearsal and one of their productions. Mentors should be comfortable taking initiative, working in schools, solving problems, demonstrating professionalism and gentle guidance. Mentors will be paired with multiple productions (2-4) that are deemed to most fit their skill set. As Nextfest is a multi-disciplinary arts festival we require mentors to have a wide range of artistic skills.
Application deadline: February 21 or once all positions have been filled
- Training and prior experience in theatre, movement or music
- Prior experience working with youth in the arts
- Should be a self starter, reliable and possess a passion for sharing their craft
- Expected to attend multiple teen (daytime) rehearsals and performances and thus should be able to get themselves around the city and its outlying areas
- Proof of Vaccination (you will likely be entering into schools)
- Valid Canadian Criminal Record Check
- LOVE working with youth in the arts
- References for previous work with youth
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Attending multiple rehearsals at multiple locations (usually Edmonton high schools)
- Helping to solve production issues as they arise (costumes, set, script, blocking, lighting, sound, transportation, scheduling, re casting,….you name it!)
- Ensuring each teen production succeeds
- Ensuring that each teen production feels supported
- Sharing your love and experience for the arts through gentle guidance
- Weekly virtual meetings/updates with the High School curator
- Following up with teens on deadlines
- Work independently to schedule meeting times and attend rehearsals
- Attend the tech rehearsal and at least one live performance for each group you are mentoring
- A festival pass for Nextfest 2022
- A festival t-shirt
- $300 honorarium
- All artist perks including invitations to the Artist Party and other artist-only events
Dates and times to consider when applying:
- Starting date – ASAP
- Nextfest 2022 runs June 2-22nd
- Students generally rehearse between March and June.
- Rehearsals are most often held at the school
- Rehearsals are often held after school hours between 3:00-5:00pm weekdays, over lunch hour and sometimes on weekends.
- Technical rehearsals TBD but sometime between May 25-30th outside of school hours.
Interested applicants please email a current resume/CV and cover letter and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Resume and cover letter should include their artistic background, training, any relevant experiences mentoring/teaching youth in the arts.
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
If you have any questions about these positions, please feel free to contact me via email email@example.com or call 780-238-4318.