The Free Will Players Theatre Guild was formed in 1989 by a group of actors in a truly co-operative spirit with the mandate to produce the works of William Shakespeare. The company runs the Freewill Shakespeare Festival which has grown into a professional theatre festival with an annual audience of thousands. We stage two productions each summer in Edmonton’s river valley, and host many special events during the festival. See freewillshakespeare.com
The Assistant Managing Director (AMD) is primarily responsible for assisting the Managing Director. The division of responsibilities between the Managing Director and the AMD may change over time according to the qualifications, comfort, and abilities of the AMD, and the needs of the company.
Year-round duties include:
- fundraising, liaising with donors and patrons
- writing grant applications
- organizing fundraising and other special events
- recruiting vendors and service providers, ordering
- attending sponsorship meetings
- other duties as assigned
During the run of the Freewill Shakespeare Festival, the AMD is on-site. They are the main point of contact for on-site staff and volunteers. In the lead-up to and during the festival, duties also include:
- assisting with hiring staff training and supervising staff and volunteers
- coordinating special events
- managing patrons and other users of the park
- being available on site to manage contingencies and emergencies
The AMD will be called on to run errands around the city, sometimes on short notice. Regular access to a vehicle is required.
The AMD must be responsible in their role. They are expected to seek the advice from the Managing Director and exercise good judgment.
The successful candidate will have:
- Experience in managing theatre companies, festivals, or not-for-profit organizations
- Experience in grant writing and advocacy
- Experience training and managing employees and volunteers
- A passion for the performing arts and Shakespeare
- An interest in advancing their skills and taking on new challenges
- Current standard first aid and ProServe certifications
- Be able to perform the physical demands of the job such as:
lifting 20 lbs overhead, long periods of standing and walking on concrete, grass, and on slopes, long periods of outdoor work in various weather conditions, long periods of sitting, and other physically demanding duties.
This is a permanent employee position. Hours of work are 9am – 5pm, 3 days per week starting in March For May, June and July, 9-5pm Full time Mon-Friday. During the Festival run, hours will vary. Hours may be flexible, depending on the needs of the company and the Managing Director.
The salary range for this position is $28,000 to $30,500. Freewill believes in investing in its employees. There may be opportunities for professional development where appropriate.
The AMD may work outside the company providing that they inform the Managing Director and the work does not interfere with their responsibilities to the company.
How to apply:
Free Will Players Theatre Guild does not just accept differences — we celebrate it and thrive on it. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Please submit the following documents to [email protected] by Friday, February 18th, 2022 at 5:00pm:
- letter of interest
- reference letters (if desired, to a maximum of three).
Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.